Does all linux software work on PPC linux?

fuzzylizard

Here is a quick question that I am trying to find an answer to. If I install a PPC version of Linux onto an iMac can I then install any software onto my shiny new linux mac or do I need to search for PPC versions of the software?

Can I download any linux version of apache or php or mysql or Oracle and install it on a PPC version of linux and expect it to work? Or do I need to download a PPC version?

Thanks.

Most will work if compiled for PPC processors.

Most PPC rpms are noted by thier .ppc.rpm extension.

On the PPC platform I'd imagine you'd have to compile more software from source than on the x86, since not as many rpms are available for PPC, but Mandrake 8.2 PPC comes with alot.

Now for the but. Some software for Linux uses x86 only calls, and sometimes x86 assembly language. These things could limit a piece of software to the x86 platform unless someone went through the trouble to port it.

Now for the but.  Some software for Linux uses x86 only calls, and sometimes x86 assembly language.  These things could limit a piece of software to the x86 platform unless someone went through the trouble to port it.

I have been doing some checking and almost all of the highend software - borland jbuilder & kylix, maple, rational rose, etc all list x86 processors as a requirement.

You need to look for ppc entry when downloading a RPM,

For eg. GAIM at SF.NET

You need to download gaim-0.59.6-1.ppc.rpm instead of the other usual entry.

If it does not exist, then the hope will be on compiling source code or rebuliding a src.rpm - if it's available.

I will recommend wait for MDK 9.1 or use Yellow Dog Linux for PPC. I heard they are both good for Mac users.