Cannot login after installing 10.0 Beta 2

rfaulk69906

Hi,

I've tried installing 10.0 Beta 2 a few times and end up with the same error each time. KDE does not launch. I have a console appear asking me for my username and password. After typing those in I typed startx and get the following information and errors:

Module loader present

Log file /var/log/Xfree86.0.log

Config file /etc/x11/XF86Config-4

Using vt 7

GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)

I810(0): AGPGart support is not available. Make sure your kernel had agpgart support or that agpgart kernel is loaded.

Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:

no screens found

Thanks,

Ron

Guest Danomatic

RC1 seems to have a problem with saving (or accessing during boot) changed files.

I had the same problem you did. What I would do is run XFdrake from the command line, not change anything and hit TEST. The test would run fine and then I could startx. I'd not have a problem until the next time it booted (I dual boot with XP so invariably I switch every couple of days).

Eventually, since I was dinking around, I installed the ATI driver for my Radeon 9600Pro and started booting directly to the command line (no graphical login). Works great so far.

I've got a similar problem with sound. The machine always boots with a mixer setup that only runs one speaker while breaking the link to my Alsamixergui (which I have to use because Kmix doesn't show left/right channels). I have to uninstall my Alsamixergui rpm and then reinstall it then set the channels properly. After that I'll run "alsactl store" from command line and double check that the info was saved in /etc/asound.state . Seems to me that that should be enough for RC1 to restore the sound settings but it never does. And breaks Alsamixergui every time. Bizarre.

RC1 has been working great as long as I get stuff setup. Got my hardware working pretty good and am running UT2004 Demo with TeamSpeak2 without any problems. That is until reboot. Then I've got to jump in and reset a bunch of stuff.

Gets a bit frustrating.

I tried running xf86config as root. I also tried running XFdrake from the command line, not changing anything, hitting test, and then typing startx. Neither worked. Same error messages. I am dual booting with XP. I went into Partition Magic on the XP side and it is now telling me that are problems with the hard drive. It offered to fix the problem, but now I can't seem to run Partition Magic either. Maybe the 10.0 discs messed something up? I ordered them from almostfreelinux.com since I'm on dial up. Any ideas on what to do next?

The errors I am getting are if I try and run Partition Magic when logged into XP.

The first error message is: Powerquest Partition Magic has detected error 116 on the partition starting at sector 41174784 on Disk 1. The starting LBA value is 41174784 and the CHS value is 16435502. The LBA and CHS values must be equal. Partition Magic has verified that the LBA values is correct and can fix the CHS value.

The second error message is: Init failed: Error 117

Partition's drive letter cannot be identified.

Do either of these errors explain what is going on with 10.0 RC1?

Guest Danomatic

I'm dual booting with XP as well. Mandrake is running as a secondary OS in a 25gig partition on my second drive (which has now got 2 XP partitions and 3 for Mandrake). I used "custom disk partitioning" during the Mandrake install to resize, make the needed Linux partitions and format.

I used this setup with 9.2 as well and never had a problem so I can't provide any help there.

I did download the video drivers from ATI and installed them per ATI's instructions. Went smoothly and work fine with UT2004 demo. Just make sure you DO NOT have an X server running while performing the install. Boot to text login and do it from the command line.

I also found out that for everything to restore properly during a reboot that the machine must shut down completely before rebooting (hard reset .vs soft reset). Then all is restored properly.

The only advice I can give on the hard drive is to boot to XP and perform a complete disc scan. This will require a reboot and may take awhile depending on your disc/partition size. This will at least ensure the integrity of your NTFS partitions.

Once that's complete I'd try another install of Mandrake 10.0RC1 using the "expert mode" and use "custom disk partitioning". You should be able to see what's going on from there and set up whatever you need for Mandrake partitions.

EDIT: Upon further review.. this RC1 seems to have a mind of its own as far as what settings it wants during boot. Still inconsistent. Can't determine a stable pattern. I will prevail.

Edited by Danomatic

windex has a habit of doing its own thing. Obviously, partition magic has called attention to an xp partitioning error. xp can function under its non standard scheme, where as every other os in creation needs to stick to the standards!

I would use xp to create or shrink partitions that xp has made. By having an available empty partition, you will not run the risk of losing xp when you install. The other option is to back up your xp and reinstall everything!!

When I build with windex, I create a partition for windex to use. That way, its errors don't affect the rest of the drive, and adding os's is easy.

If agpgart is present, simmply type as root at the commandline "insmod agpgart".

If it is there, it will work. If it is not there, it will state so as well. I looked through my file system for this particular mod, but couldn't find it. But, it may be somewhere that I didn't look.

Guest orville
Hi, 

I've tried installing 10.0 Beta 2 a few times and end up with the same error each time.  KDE does not launch.  I have a console appear asking me for my username and password.  After typing those in I typed startx and get the following information and errors:

Module loader present

Log file /var/log/Xfree86.0.log

Config file /etc/x11/XF86Config-4

Using vt 7

GARTInit:  Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)

I810(0):  AGPGart support is not available.  Make sure your kernel had agpgart support or that agpgart kernel is loaded.

Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:

no screens found

Thanks,

Ron

sounds like a permissions problems or a module loading problem.

next login do

ll /dev/agpgart

and report back the output of this command. If it says fille does not exist try

modprobe agpgart

and then try to startx again