toshiba satellite installation woes...

Guest bhrich902

Guest bhrich902

the machine is toshiba satellite 2805-s202 p3 700 128ram 10gig dvd/cd combo. k when doing a 9.1 install i can get it all the way to installing packages after a few minutes it stops installing and just sits there, on some reboots it'll prompt me that it can't install some packages on others it goes for a bit almost half way the it sits there doing nothing. then i tried a 9.2 install but i cant get that to get past the loading program to memory then giving me a fatal error. any suggestions would really help since i just got it today and would really hate to fall into my safety net (winblows), thx...

I imagine Dragonmage and some others will be more helpful with the real nitty gritty tech stuff than I am, plus I am moving back to US in two weeks and things are a bit hectic here and my time online is a bit limited.

I have a Satellite 2805-S402 and have not done an install on it as I needed a modem for backup and could not get the installed one to work. I normally use a cable modem and connect via the ethernet which seems to work fine.

I have been using PCLinuxOS live CD and it works but the latest preview I have to boot using "no usb" due to a conflict. With Mandrake Move it works pretty well, but the Firewire, modem and smartcard are not detected. Knoppix runs pretty fair too.

Think I'd suggest bumping up to 256MB RAM or better as soon as you can as running kde might be pretty slow with only 128MB. I have 384MB and it runs fair, but doesn't compare to my desktop running 512MB when I am using KDE desktop.

I also notice that my DVD/ROM sometimes is quirky when reading CD's and that caused me problems when I did try to install 8.2 way back when. It sits there and spins and grunts a lot but seems to have problems reading some cd's. I can get around it sometimes by changing brand of cd media so that might be part of the problem you are having too.

It might help to do a text install to speed things up and make the load lighter too. Once you get a basic install done you can go back and add what you wanted using the GUI install software in MCC. I had to do that on my wife's old PII 266 desktop when I got similar errors to what you are reporting.

Not sure this will help, but I do think you can get it working except for the modem. From all I've seen that is a dead end, but maybe someone has developed a new driver that I have not found. Hope so!

You probably already checked it but here are a couple links of successful installs on your model. Looks like your modem may work as it is different from mine.

LINK ONE CLICK ME

LINK TWO CLICK HERE

Good luck... :)

Edited by kmack