Two questions about Gnome...

LukeK

Hello,

I've got a quick question about an issue I have with dark themes in Gnome 2.4.

I just recently downloaded a controls theme called Leech from art.gnome.org. It's a dark theme that's almost entirely black. Anyhow I installed it correctly but when I went to use it as my controls theme, some of the icons change but nothing is black like it should be. All the windows are white as normal, but a few of the window icons have changed. I wonder if any of you guys might have a suggestion as to why it will not use the proper colors.

And while I've got a thread started I might as well ask this question also:

Under Start Here->Desktop Preferences->Advanced, there is an icon/program called Panel (allegedly located at /usr/bin/gnome-panel-preferences). Whenever I double click, I receive an error message stating that the intended file does not exist. It also appears that my Keyboard Shortcuts program (gnome-keybiding-properties) is also MIA. Shouldn't these programs have been installed upon mandrake setup or am I missing a package of some sort?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help!

Luke

I just recently downloaded a controls theme called Leech from art.gnome.org.

according to art.gnome.org this theme requires the gtk pixmap engine. if you don't have that installed, that might be causing your problem.

as for your missing programs, those should definitely be already installed. gnome-panel-preferences should be apart of the gnome-panel package. what happens when you try to start these programs from the menu (configuration -> gnome)?

do you have gtk1.2 and 2 engines installed?

http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2/647.php

Info: Leech is a dark theme that requires the GTK pixmap engine. Icons included are copyright Mattahan Productions.

Oh, you could also check the gtkrc file of the theme and see where it says the engine and pixmaps are suppose to be, though I didn't think this was a problem anymore.

What version of mandrake? In the past, sometimes a running /usr/bin/mandrakegalaxy would stop themes from correctly loading. Kill it, and save your sesiion, if that's the case

killall mandrakegalaxy

gnome-session-save

Use urpmf to findout if the packages are installed.

urpmf gnome-keybiding-properties

urpmf gnome-panel-preferences

Edited by bvc

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw that Leech indeed required the pixmap engine so I checked before I downloaded it -- I have both gtk1.2 and 2 engines installed (which include pixmap). I also checked to make sure mandrake galaxy was not running, which it wasn't. :shrug:

On my second problem, I just checked to see if the gnome-panel program was installed and my package removal program indeed reports that it is installed(though a search for that filename doesn't produce any results either).

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Luke

then you have some missing files.

[root@localhost root]# urpmf gnome-keyboard-properties

gnome-control-center:/usr/bin/gnome-keyboard-properties

gnome-control-center:/usr/share/control-center-2.0/interfaces/gnome-keyboard-properties.glade

[root@localhost root]# urpmf gnome-panel-preferences

gnome-panel:/usr/bin/gnome-panel-preferences

gnome-panel:/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/gnome-panel-preferences.desktop

gnome-panel:/usr/share/gnome/panel/gnome-panel-preferences.glade

gnome-panel:/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-panel-preferences.1.bz2

[root@localhost root]# which gnome-panel-preferences

/usr/bin/gnome-panel-preferences

[root@localhost root]# which gnome-keyboard-properties

/usr/bin/gnome-keyboard-properties

I just installed Leech and it worked w/ no problem. I can't think of anything else.

Oh, either from init 3 or another wm/de uninstall and reintall them. To prevent having to uninstall and reinstall all the dependencies, uninstall w/

rpm -e --nodeps gnome-panel gnome-control-center

and reinistall w/

urpmi gnome-control-center gnome-panel

Edited by bvc