Plug and Play disabled?

xucaen

Hi all, in the past I have always disabled Plug and Play in my system BIOS because I assumed Linux was not a Plug and Play OS. I am considering switching to Mandrake and I am reading that it can detect new hardware. Does this mean Mandrake is a Plug and Play OS and that I need to enable Plug and Play in my system BIOS?

thanks!

Jim

As kieth says, plug and play does not mean that anything not plug and play won't plug and play!! :D

Windex does not use the system bios, but sets up the hardware itself. In fact, windex is designing a way to elimenate the bios and only have computers that will run on windex! Linux, as well as other superior operating systems, take the information from the bios and run the computer. So, plug and play actually only refers to a windex os, and not the "plug and play" abilitites of other better operating systems.

Ehm,..

Linux, so far, was not a plug and play OS, meaning (if I understand correctly) that linux relies on the bios for certain system settings at boot time.

From kernel 2.6 on, linux is a true plug and play OS, so you can leave that setting at 'Yes' in the BIOS; when using a 2.6 kernel of course.

Please realise that all distros coming out by now will have both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels...