Neverwinter Nights & Mandrake 9.2!!

Wandera

Hello to everyone again :)

Im just about to head into town tomorrow and buy the second expansion to Neverwinter Nights, Hordes of the Underdark.

Ive got Mandrake 9.2 2.4.22-10mdk installed, dual boot Win2k Also.

I understand ya need an installed Windows version, ive also downloaded the needed binaries additions.... and am in REAL need of a guide, or run down on the install procedure, commands and sequences.

Im not exactly a Linux guru yet but im willing to adventure anywhere.... a simple link to a In-Depth guide, or unless someone wants to show some love and guide me through it ;) ;)

Haha thanks Champs!!!

Cheers

You do not need an existing Windows installation, all you need to do is use ravage's installer which is somewhere on icculus.org

Make sure you have Microsoft Joliet extensions installed for extracting the files from the cd, which Mandrake should have by default.

The game is not difficult to get running, but performance problems are very common.

There is information all over the place about ravage's installers and DOlson has a great FAQ on the game as well.

But instead of me going to Google to find all these things for you, why don't you hop along over there, where you should have started in the first place :P

Well you think im stupid?? Its a little easier for me to punch something into google that wait 3 days for a reply here.....

Obviuosly me asking for third party helps means i have done all in my own power to look around... and the tutorials or guides suggesting the existing windows install never turned out for the best with me.....

Im looking for someone to reply to me thats had this problem and knows of a good tutorial or guide to pass on..... i'll have a look at these installers.... performance is definately something i need to have at a maximum...

Any help on that subject... from those who dont mind helping.... would be GREATLY appreciated... if your not cut out for it... dont reply.

Thanks to those that care!

And thankyou, SoulSe!!!

• 3 weeks later...

OK - I did this on gentoo, but I reckon it's got to work for Mandrake too. Just follow the instructions here and, yes I suggest you do download the binaries from the same site.

I just got this game working this morning - I've only played for a little while, but it's wicked!

SoulSe - how do you find out what frame rates you are getting? It's playing really smoothly for me so I reckon I'm getting good performace, although I do get the odd judder - nothing serious though...

Edited by phunni

Well you think im stupid??

Um... no. I was just making a _good_ suggestion - *I* found out how to install it by googling. But Whatever...

Phunni: Just hit ~ and type fps and hit Enter ;) I'd be interested to see what performance you get, especially since we use the same distro.

ok - 48.3 or thereabouts is the reuslt of a quick check.

Seems pretty reasonable to me...

glxgears gives me an average of 4174.

All on a 2.6 kernel with an ATI Radeon 9800 pro

I'm fairly happy with all that :D

BTW - I haven't set the video settings to the lowest either, I pretty much left everything on and imporved the overall quality of the graphica a notch or two...

Nice! Most of the people I have spoken to while trying to track down the source of performance issues have been using nvidia cards... could be a SDL problem I guess.

So now, when I get my broadband connection, are we going to play online, Phunni?

I have tried ravages installer a few times with no success, I always ended up missing some files. There was a fix for this, but I have been unable to find it. I would suggest that you follow the directions on the site phunni linked to, part way down it tells you what to copy over for a windows install. The instructions go as follows:

Installing From An Existing Windows Install

1. Log in to download the Linux Client binaries. If you do not have an account, sign up for an account now! It's free and allows you greater access to all the BioWare sites.

2. Copy the following files from a Windows installation of Neverwinter Nights (updated to at least 1.29) into a directory called, for example, 'nwn':

ambient/*

data/*

dmvault/*

hak/*

localvault/*

modules/*

music/*

nwm/*

override/*

portraits/*

saves/*

servervault/*

texturepacks/*

chitin.key

patch.key

dialog.tlk

dialogF.tlk (French, German, Italian, and Spanish)

If you are using ftp to transfer the files, be sure to transfer them in binary mode.

3. Install Linux binaries by extrating the archive into your 'nwn' directory.

4. Update to latest version.

5. Run ./fixinstall from your 'nwn' directory.

To run Neverwinter Nights, run ./nwn or ./dmclient from your 'nwn' directory to run the player client or DM client respectively.

Note: If your Windows installation was a partial install, add the following lines to your nwn.ini file (substituting your CD mount point if it is not /mnt/cdrom) and mount your Play Disc.

[Alias]

CD0=/mnt/cdrom

AMBIENT=/mnt/cdrom/ambient

MUSIC=/mnt/cdrom/music

For information on updating to a full install, see http://nwn.bioware.com/support/techfaq.html#05

if you have issues with a specific step here, let me know and i'll attempt to elaborate better than they have. hope you get it working!

-tyme

Also, could this be an interesting point in the ATI vs Nvidia debate...? ;)

Probably. I think that the main problem with nvidia lies not with nvidia themselves, but more with the fact that the card manufacturers balls things up (I've said it once and I'll say it again: stay the **** away from AOpen nvidia cards!)

Back on topic: Ravage's installers work fine, they use Joliet extensions (must be compiled into your kernel) to extract the files from the cds. I've done three installs using Ravage's installers and they worked perfectly every time.

My only problems are performance orientated, but I think we've heard enough of my bickering :cheesy:

Yea right.... well thanks guys, im gonna leave downloading those binaries for when i get high speed also.

Im pretty experienced in the world of Neverwinter Nights, online especially.... so if ya'll got any questions just reply here...

Need advice on what server to play and what not just gimme a yell with your tastes :P

Cheers for the offer Tyme, who knows i might need to take you up on that heh..:P

have a good one dudes,

ive started work for the first wireless broadband providing company in Australia, i think im getting a 1500/256 pipe for nothing, 10gig up/down caps though

cool huh?