HELP! Ethernet card gone from Harddrake!

frosterrj

Well, I was messing around trying to get the D-Link DWL-650 to work with the realtek drivers to no avail, and now my Xircom Modem/LAN card is not even recognized by harddrake - no ethernet section at all (MCC, system, hardware).

When I re-boot card manager is looking for memory_cs module?? Startup goes through its normal process - loopback up, eth0 up, but there's no ethernet running, no xirc2ps_cs module either.

I insmod xirc2ps_cs, and it load, then ifup eth0, no errors, but ifconfig only shows loopback.

I try MCC, internet and can get to the part where it asks me what driver I want (and I select the correct xircom) but it just keep going around in circles when it gets to the point where it asks if I have another device. I select no, but it goes into the module selection screen again.

pcmcia and yenta_socket are running the whole time. How do I get harddrake to get the ethernet part back?

thanks,

Robert

Try putting your Mandrake CD1 installation disk in your cdrom drive, then re-boot. Do an update (not installation). Then when you get the page that asks to accept all the configurations, re-configure your internet connection. That should do it.

Kieth

Yeah, I had that idea too, however NONE of the 9.2 disks I have ever tried (at least 3 sets) will boot up on my machine. I keep getting an error that it cannot find a driver even though the disk spins up long enough for the welcome screen (F1, F3 options) but then hangs after starting, though it does find USB devices. :wall: I mean its not an LG drive or anything! A toshiba XM-1902B, and no such specific driver exists in the driver list.

I looked at the logs after I booted and got a line that says

'error in "config" line 1130:syntax error'. So I open up /etc/pcmcia.conf and rem out the lines for the DWL-650 (starting at line 1130) and re-boot, but still the same problem. :furious3: IT makes sense that those were the offending lines since I was trying to get my wireless card to work immediately before the problem.

Any other ideas? I looked at /etc/modules.conf, but no lines existed associating eth0 with memory_cs. Should I try an alias eth0 xirc2ps_cs?

Robert

The mandrake tools don't clean up very well after you pull a nic out and replace with another in my experience. One place to look is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. It usually leaves that behind with the old configuration. If you see that file there, delete it and try to reconfigure with mcc.

I deleted the ifconfig-eth0 file - looked pretty clean anyway- but that did nothing. No ethernet section in harddrake. I looked at the boot logs, and I can not figure out why this maching thinks my pc card is a memory card.

Feb 19 17:25:49 localhost network: Setting network parameters: succeeded

Feb 19 17:25:50 localhost network: Bringing up loopback interface: succeeded

Feb 19 17:25:51 localhost ifplugd(eth0)[868]: Using interface eth0

Feb 19 17:25:51 localhost ifplugd(eth0)[868]: Failed to find working plug detection mode for eth0

Feb 19 17:25:51 localhost ifplugd(eth0)[868]: Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action eth0 up'.

Feb 19 17:25:52 localhost ifplugd(eth0)[868]: Program executed successfully.

Feb 19 17:25:52 localhost ifplugd(eth0)[868]: Exiting.

Feb 19 17:25:52 localhost network: Bringing up interface eth0: succeeded

Feb 19 17:25:52 localhost internet: Checking internet connections to start at boot succeeded

Feb 19 17:25:52 localhost pcmcia: Starting PCMCIA services:

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost pcmcia: cardmgr[972]: error in file 'config' line 1130: syntax error

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost cardmgr[972]: error in file 'config' line 1130: syntax error

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost pcmcia: cardmgr[972]: could not open './config.opt': No such file or directory

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost pcmcia: cardmgr[972]: watching 2 sockets

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost cardmgr[972]: watching 2 sockets

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost cardmgr[973]: starting, version is 3.2.4

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost pcmcia: done.

Feb 19 17:25:53 localhost rc: Starting pcmcia: succeeded

Feb 19 17:25:54 localhost cardmgr[973]: executing: 'modprobe memory_cs'

Feb 19 17:25:54 localhost cardmgr[973]: modprobe exited with status 255 <30>Feb 19 17:25:54 cardmgr[973]: module /lib/modules/2.4.22-26mdk/pcmcia/memory_cs.o not available

So its looking for a memory module for a network card, but starts eth0 and loopback anyway??!!? :wall:

I dont get it. When I read the boot up screen, there is a line that says something like 'cardmgr [976]unable to start xxx slot 1 resources temporarily unavailable.'

Any ideas?