Linksys WPC54G [NEW PROBLEM SEE LAST POST]

ExoBot

HEllo there i have just installed(and am liking very much) Mandrake 9.2

i would like to get my Linksys WPC54g card working with Linux.. i have no idea how... :wall: please help... i have never used linux before so i need everything in very simple steps :help:

Thanking you in advance...

Edited by ExoBot

Did you try a Google search?

Just so you know, wireless is pretty tricky in Linux. As far as I know, the problem is that the major companies (Linksys, Netgear, et al) are not releasing Linux drivers nor are they offering the specs so others can make them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that....

That said, there are a few people who have gotten cards to work. Yours in particular? Well, let's check the major sites:

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

Looks like your card has a Broadcom chipset and is not supported (by linux-wlan) yet.

As for finding a Broadcom driver, good luck; I have other things to do, but feel free to ask more questions!

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...9304#post439304 (Read the whole thread, but that post is in particular pretty clarifying.)

thank you for replying i have downloaded both of the major things in that thread... the Linuxant and ndiswrapper.... i will put them onto CD and load up linux.. then follow the instructions that were given on thw websites... but erm .. then what do i do? i know linux has seen my wireless card since if i look in "Harddrake" (if i remember right) then one of them has 802.11g in its name.. so i guess thats it.. so after i have run the Linuxant and ndiswrapper things... what do i do? Im really sorry to ask all these questions but i really dont want to muck this up, and i really want wireless :) thank you... ^_^

Ok one problem that i am finding quite annoying and am not sure if it is meant to do it; when i go into harddrake it can see my network card AND my wireless card... however when i look at the wireless card the first problem is that under the module bit (i think thats it... bad memory...) it says not configured or something like that... coloured red...

So when i click the only button available "configure" or something... im not really sure what options to select.. Wireless connection i guess falls under the "LAN" section? Doesnt it?

Man its hard to remember stuff from one OS to another... but later on if i try and change the driver to "orinoco cs" or something like that... it says its done it and i should reboot.. so i reboot and look at it again in Hardrake and it still has the "unconfigured" or something like that under the module section.. how do i make it like WORK??? :wall::wall:

The other thing was when it gave me the option to change drivers, it said it had the driver eepro ;(the driver which is used for my network card [not my wireless one, the normal one]) this makes me think that im trying to configure my network card.. not my wireless card... even though im clicked on the configure button for my wireless network card...

please can some clever nice person help a linux newbie :help:

phew... sorry for any spelling errors, if you dont understand some bits just say so and ill try and explain it better..