First Boot Problem

brads

Hi All.

New to linux and Mandrake 9.2. Have installed 9.2 onto formatted 8gb HDD using whole drive. Installed OK then booted OK, went through startup process until I got the following lines of text. ( Note; bootup had not yet reached the desktop or the first login window).

Mandrake Linux Release 9.2 (five star) for i586

Kernel 2.4.22 - 10 mdk on an i586 / tty1

Local Host Login:_ I entered my user name & pressed `enter`

Password:_ I entered my user password & got the following:

[neil@localhost neil]$

Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to enter here? Should I have gotten these lines at all rather than the normal login window? Have I mucked up the install somehow. A linux `newbie` would appreciate some advice please!

Cheers: Neil

I would expect that you need to configure your x-server. Boot again and log in as root rather than your user id, then try entering 'startx' (without the quotes) and either it should start into the desktop you expect, or it will flicker and then leave you back at the prompt (with some messages in between). If it puts you into the desktop, you can use the control centre to setup the boot into the x-server by default (under hardware->graphical server). If it does not work, there is a command line tool to set up the configuration file. Enter 'xf86config' and it will start you off. You need to know a few things lke the mouse type (IMPS/2 for wheel mouse), and the refresh rate of your monitor in the case that it is not in the list. If it doesnt work, you can always rerun the script.

Before you run the 'xf86config', copy the original so that you can move it back in case the problem is something else (to do this, 'cd /etc/X11' then 'cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.bak').

logging in to X as root is not recommended, however.

I would log in as your normal user and enter 'startx' without the quotes. Everything should start up just fine. If you want it to boot into X when you start up, go to the Mandrake Control Center (mcc) and configure X to start at boot in the boot options screen.

If X does not start when you type startx, you will need to su to root. Type su <enter> enter your root password <enter> and type 'XFdrake' without the quotes to configure the X server.

After that is done, type exit to return to your normal user, then type startx