Windows reinstall and lilo

Big_Baller

Ok I do a dual boot with XP pro and Mandrake. I am going to do a reformat and install of my xp partition soon and I need to know how to stop XP from overwriting my boot loader. Would the lilo boot disk restore the boot loader or somthing after I install xp?

I also had a random linux question. How do I get root privliges in the gui? I know how to from a console but I am not sure how to have them when moving files between protected directorys with the gui.

You cannot stop xp from doing anything! :D

You can, however, prep a partition and tell xp to just use that partition, and then reinstall the boot loader after xp is done taking over the drive. If you don't tell xp where to go, it may try to remove linux.

lol no no no I know all about partitions and that XP will take over the hd. As my professor said, "install dumber OS's first". and it holds true for xp and linux. I have a 10 gig partition for XP and then 50 gig for data and stuff. And then 15 odd of linux.

Well I guess my real question is how to install a new boot loader. Other than running the linux setup again I don't know of any way . :tux: