installation of mplayerplug-in

ralph1976

when following the readme i have to execute ./config in the mplayerplug-in directory. when i do this i get the following output:

[ralph@localhost mplayerplug-in]$ ./configure

checking for g++... no

checking for c++... no

checking for gpp... no

checking for aCC... no

checking for CC... no

checking for cxx... no

checking for cc++... no

checking for cl... no

checking for FCC... no

checking for KCC... no

checking for RCC... no

checking for xlC_r... no

checking for xlC... no

checking for C++ compiler default output... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

any ideas, what i have to do?

Well first of all, I don't want to deter you from compiling applications. This is something fundamental in the open source world. However, it can be painful at times :P

Well I use Linux since a while now but rarely compile anything. I'm probably not the best person here to explain how to setup a system to compile applications.

But here are some pointers: the tools needed to compile applications are all on your Mandrake CD's; at install time, they're installed if you check "development platform". That means you'd want to install these, but I couldn't name specific packages as I'm not a developer myself ;)

I guess you could begin with using urpmi for installing gcc (the gnu C compiler). But I'm sure that you'll need a bunch of other packages too (such as make).

And then again, when you compile an app that uses say a specific library, you may have to install the -devel package for this library. That means more RPM's to install.

But at one point, the things you need are all installed and you can procede. Generally it's recommended to install RPM's for your distro as it ensure compatibility and all, but once in a while compiling an app can save your ass (e.g. compiling the latest kopete version so that you can connect back to MSN after a protocol change!).

Well I wish you good luck, and maybe others here can be more helpful.