Cheap PC

clevedonal

I have just aqcuuired an HP Pavilion 8695 - 20GB (upgradeable to 80GB), 128Mb upgradeable to 256Mb/LG CDRW/Samsung DVD/32Mb Nvidia/ onboard sound + nic/Dell 17" monitor... I have Mandrake 9.1 installed in dual boot (with Win2000Pro) on main house machine, but was wondering if any of you fine folks had suggestions as to what i could or should run on the Pavalion as 'secondary' machine in the house - Will MDK 9.1 run well... or my recently and cheaply acquired MDK9.2 DVD be a better(??) OS ?? i know this is a Mandrake board... but perhaps a SUSE or RedHat Distro be more suitable for the HP machine?? All suggestions/advice/abuse welcomed for a new but interested player!

i have a very similar machine (it's a pIII 500, yours looks like an athlon 750 or so??). we've upgraded the RAM to 384mb and added a new video card, but it was just fine on mdk 9.1 even before those changes.

link where i got info about your system

right now it is a great webserver, but it also gets a lot of use for email, web browsing and occasional games of armagetron too. its uptime is something like 110 days at the moment, and that downtime was only because we lost power for a few days. i'd say you can install just about whatever you want on that machine. :P 9.1 runs great, there's no reason that 9.2 wouldn't run even better on it.

Hi Peep

it is an Athlon 750 (i forgot to add that) - adding extra memory looks like a pain... (guidance? HP suggest it will take only 2x128Mb, though on the machine case it says it can take 3x128Mb... and IS it particular about memory type/manufacturer?) - might well try loading MDK 9.2 on it soon then - thanks !