MKL 10 Beta 2 doesn´t start

Guest jmrush

Hi.Today I've tried to install Mandrake 10 beta 2 in my notebook.Everything works fine but when rebooting after installation there's a kernel panic that stops the process.Here are some details:

EIP is at 0xbf7

Code:Bad EIP value

spurious 8259A interrupt:IRQ7

Kernel panic:Attempted to kill init

Can someone help.....I've worked with 9.1 and 9.2 perfectly in this machine.

Thanks in advance

Having a similar kernel panick problem. Seemed to happen after it loaded the serial port drivers for the com ports. I disabled both com ports, reinstalled and now on reboot it sits there forever looking for new hardware whenever I try to start it.

I don't know. The first cooker pre-beta worked, beta 1 didn't work, beta 2 works. You could trry eliminating hardware in the bios until it boots, but that's a lot of work. It sounds like the com ports are still partially visible to Madrake.

spurious 8259A interrupt:IRQ7

the 8259 is the PIC (Programable Interrupt Controller), a chip in the original PC now emulated in the chipset.

irq 7 is usally reserved for the parallel port.

try to disable your parallel port on the bios and/or unplug and switch off your printer

edit: if you find something consistent, don't forget to report a bug. see

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/100beta.php3

roland

Edited by roland

Tried disabling serial ports and parallel port. Same effect, just sits there 'checking for new hardware'. Disabled acpi 2.0 and the video wouldn't initialize for lilo.

Tried pnp os on and off, no effect.

This is on an asus k8v with athlon64 3200 and firmware 1005.

..also, during the install, it didn't detect my onboard 3com 3c940 gigabit nic.

Update. Disabling onboard ADI audio didn't help either.

Edited by ramazz

My usb hub seems to be the culprit.

I had installed mandrake 10rc2 with the usb on my mboard set at usb2.0. If I set it to usb 1.1 then it sits there forever looking for new hardware.

If I set it back to usb 2.0 as it was during the install, I have to unplug my usb hub for some reason, then USB initializes and the system continues booting. Maybe my hub is ready to die. Just had a few reboots in winblows where I didn't have a mouse so I moved it off the hub and its workin fine.

Updating the kernel from cooker right now... is there amd64 support in the base 2.6.2 kernel?