Some installation Help!

Jedd999

I had some problems installing Mandrake 9.2, but eventually I got it running, but I really dont have anything on it except the core OS (when I would reach CD2 in the installation, the system would tell me that it cant find files... and then it would pretty much hang).

I am looking to install gnome other stuff and I am wondering how to do that? If somebody could help me with how to upgrade the install without running the install wizard that will run when I put the cd in when I boot it, I would really appreciate that!!!

p.s. you are answering a noob, so keep the instructions simple and thourough.

Thanks

during the mandrake install there's a software install screen. You need to delve deeper into that and start selecting the particular software packages you want installed.

It's quite possible that you just accepted the higher level defaults.

Re-run the install again and watch out for the software selection screen - spend some time on that, explore it and start selecting the stuff you want.

if you have another computer available, use it to find out WHAT the software is (maybe via google).

once installed , check out URPMI - just google for it. And then do a google for "Easy URPMI".

urpmi is your friend when it comes to software installation and updating your mdk.

have fun!

:D

Well, that is my problem, the install wont accept a second cd, and that is why I made this post. When I select to install anything except the bare bones, it hangs during the install process as soon as I switch to a second CD.

I need to have gnome on there, and some C++ developing tools on there for school, and I cant figure out what to do...

Is there no way to upgrade the install once I am already in linux?!?

AHHH!!!!!!

so much work to do, and so little time, and I cant even start because stupid linux isnt workin!

yes - you can - use urpmi - you can either urpmi software from the CDs , or you can do it over the internet.

Easy URPMI

do a google on "urpmi".

you could also try looking for the Package Installation menu option in KDE or maybe try "rpmdrake" from the KDE run menu option.

Then again, i'm on 9.1 and i installed 9.2 on a test box and i didnt like it - there was a heck of lot of stuff NOT added to the KDE menu. It sucked.

9.1 is far better - if you have a copy,install it.

Edited by kde-head

"so much work to do, and so little time, and I cant even start because stupid linux isnt workin!"

linux is NOT easy to get into - if you want that, get a Mac.

but if you want to actually explore and understand Unix, and make your braincells work a bit, then Linux is for you. It's getting way easier than what it used to be.

Just remember that in the days of Slackware 1.0 , way back in the mid 90s, you had to compile your entire kernel first with a c compiler.

Nowadays you stick a CD in , press a few buttons and it installs. Now considering that there isnt a multi-billion dollar company behind Linux, i find that rate of progess pretty amazing and utterly astounding.

Honestly... I have no clue what is going on!

The install that I have is such bare bones, on the list of options of the things you can install during the setup process, I have to uncheck everything in order for the install to work, I dont know what urpmi is, and I dont know what rpmdrake is.... even when I run it, I dont even know what is going on...

I want to be able to pop in the cd, and install everything that I couldnt do during the setup... is there a way to do this?!?

please remember, I know absolutely nothing about linux... so keep it simple

As well, maybe my 2nd CD is messed up, how can I check that checksum thing to make sure that it is right.... (please explain that as well, cause once again... I know absolutely nothing about linux, and I wouldnt consider myself a highly advanced windows user either)

Thanks!

After you installed, open the mandrake control center. Can you find it .... uyou can always type mcc on the commandline if you don't find it in the menu or on the initial screen when you are logged in.

Go to the siftware section, open "install software" or something like that. You'll now get a list of all possible sofwtare you cnaz install with explanation about it.

You can also search for a certain application.

It's best to do the normal install if it hangs and install whatever you would want to have after the install. You can also delete appliocations afterwards.

I suppose your only application-sources will be the cd's as default. It's nice to use an ftp-server (on the internet) as an application source. This will offer you up-to-date applications and even mroe applications than on the cd's I think.

Igf you have any question about this, just ask them.

Hopes this helps.

Edited by Michel

Sorry for that last response... I have had a bad week, and I am just really frustrated, my harddrive bit the dust a few days ago, and I had a lot of trouble with dell tech support.... at the moment I am just looking to get my system up and runing with some basic c++ tools so that I can get this big assignment done for school...

I want to learn linux and stuff like that, but I just dont have the time for that now...

Thanks

the kernel is written in pure C - and gnome is also written in pure C ,but with a lot of libraries that add OOP. if you want C++ , check out trolltech's QT

if you cant figure stuff out , try MandrakeMove or Knoppix - these are bootable from the cd entire linux systems.

Jedd, sounds like you either have a bad CD2, or the source config is fubar. I would open up configure softare sources and add another one that would have the programs you need right away -- thus bypassing this bad CD setup. You can find plenty of ftp sources from:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#586

or an easier way go here and follow the simple instructions:

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

"How can I unlock it?"

Did you "su" and type in your root password?

OH, and may I recommend this FAQ?

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600