Set K-Mail to check mail every x mins?

arthurking

Hi, I'm using K-mail 1.5.3 (KDE 3.1.3)in mdk9.2, and I remember that in outlook express, you could set mail client to check for mail every x minutes. I've looked through the settings and not come across anything obvious. Am I missing something or can I do this with another mail client, like Evolution ?

thanks.

Edited by arthurking

a few other useful Kmail tips, if ya don't know them already........

if you want Kmail to automatically check for new mail & download it when you open it, do the follow.........

right click on the Kmail icon in the kicker tool bar, choose "properties", choose the "execute" tab, look in the execute command (it should say something like "kmail -caption (some symbols) ). make it read like this "kmail --check -caption (some symbols)", click "apply", click "ok". now, every time you open Kmail from the kicker tool bar shortcut, it will automatically check for new mail & download it. you can add the same command in KMenu editor (or MenuDrake) for the Kmail kicker application link.

if you want to have a visual notification when you get new mail, try the app called Korn. if it's installed, it will be in kicker->networking->mail. if it isn't installed, run MCC->add software->type Korn in search box->install it. it's a very small (KB wise) app. once installed, run it from the kicker shortcut, or as normal user type korn, then hit enter in CLI. this app is quite handy if you want to poll your mail at intervals & be alerted to new mail arrivals without having to keep Kmail open & chewing up memory.

Korn is very easy to set up. for the average smtp POP3 mail account, choose "configure Korn", remove the default "inbox" account, click the "add" button to set up a new account, choose "POP3" from the account type options, put your incoming mail domain in the mail isp box (EX: incoming.yourispmailname.net, com, org, etc), add your user name & password, choose the actions tab to set default colors/look for no mail & new mail settings & to set an amount of time to poll for new mail at intervals, & in the execute area choose a name for your inbox & where it says "click" type kmail --check to enable single click & automatic download of new mail on the korn kicker icon. after you have all your settings, click "apply", "ok" & you should have an icon for Korn by your clock. if your mailbox is currently empty of new mail, send yourself an e-mail to test how it works.

please note i'm writing all this from memory, so if i have some of the setting options named wrong, excuse that. once you get to configuration, it's easy enough to figure out based on the info i provided.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Some other tips. I usually use kmail because I belong to a lot of mailing lists with lots of long threads. Kmail has the best keyboard navigation of threads (I've tried Mozilla Mail and Evolution).

Left arrow, right arrow - moves you from the next/previous message

, - open thread

. - close thread

Also I usually have the preview panel on. Page Up and Page Down do not page up or page down in the message list. Even if you are in the message list, page up and page down will page up or page down the message in you are currently viewing in the preview panel. This means you don't have to navigate the message list until you find the message you want and then switch focus to the preview panel if you want to see the rest of the message. This makes pure keyboard navigation easier.

Also you can make filters simply by right-clicking on a message and then choosing one of the options in the right-click menu. Evolution has this option as well but Mozilla Mail makes you enter all the filters in by hand. Ugh.

If you belong to a lot of mailing lists then kmail has a lot of useful features specific to mailing lists. Have a play around with the right-click menus.

Finally when you start a new message, you can click on the "..." button next to the address fields to choose an an address from your address book, but when the addresses are brought up if you choose "Show recent addresses" it shows all of the recent addresses you've sent mail to even if you haven't put them in your address book/contacts yet.

if you want to have a visual notification when you get new mail, try the app called Korn.

If you want a visual note you don't need another program - though this does require having kmail open so Korn could be an option if you want to close kmail. All you need to do is go:

Network

Receiving

Other Actions

More Options

This brings up a whole lot of other options, eg playing a specific sound file, running a program etc. but the one you want is

Show a Message in a Pop-Up window

I also choose the

"Use a Passive window that does not interrupt other work"

option as well.

When you get new mail, a little window (that doesn't make your mouse suddenly move to it like other dialogue and error boxes do thank god) appears near the taskbar saying you have new mail. It also disappears automatically - I can't remember if this is time based or whether you have to click on kmail first. It's very unobtrusive though - it's very small, looks like a sticky note and doesn't even have any window borders.

Edited by Uiler