Xine and DVDs

D'Espice

Hi there,

I'm having some weird DVD trouble with Xine - I can't play DVDs with it, well sometimes I can.

If I reboot, remove libdvdcss immediately after rebooting then install it again, I can watch any DVD I want when I first start Xine. If I close it, start it again it won't be able to play any, that's right, any DVD at all. Whether it's CSS encrypted or not - no go.

It is working fine anytime in mplayer though so what's the deal? I'm running Mandrake 9.2 AMD64 with the latest lib64xine package from Cooker/AMD64 and a self-compiled libdvdcss 1.2.8. I'd really prefer Xine over mplayer for watching DVDs since Xine supports the navigation and menus whereas mplayer for some reason does not. This issue is not related to whether lib64dvdnav is installed or not, Xine even allows me to navigate through the menus of DVDs without lib64dvdnav installed, I guess it has its own dvdnav library. mplayer however ignores lib64dvdnav completely.

Any suggestions?

Erm,

OK.... Ill take a stab.

Why not try incrementally going back to the stable/tested i586 packages.

I'd start off with the 'useless' stuff in AMD64 like the interface.

Your real gain should come from the meat (i.e decryption/decoding) and that seems to work since media player works!

(i take it that the xineui is not actually 64 bit??)

Why not try for instance kxine or an alternative interface ???

If all that works and your happy then you can always try actually compiling your own xineui.

By the time you get it all fixed the lib64xine will probably be fixed !!!

:D

It's all 64-bit, like I said it's an updated Xine from Cooker/AMD64 not Cooker/i586 ;) I also tried the Xine that came with 9.2 on the CDs but same thing... I guess you're right, it's probably some lib64xine issue that will (hopefully) get fixed rather soon. The reason why I'm still using xineui 0.9.22 is that 1.0rc3 is haviing some weird window border issues - I can't get rid of it.

I really prefer not to be going back to i586 since that'll cause serious lib problems - 32-bit apps don't work with 64-bit libs and vice versa meaning I'd probably had to install a bunch of 32-bit libraries in order to run 32-bit Xine.

Edited by D'Espice

You could compile from source and change the install path in the makefile.

Then use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to link to the Xine 32 binaries!!

Its quite a bit of work... I guess but it wouldn't interfere with the 64bit parts.....

Anyway, Im intersted to know. I got the CD's, Im just waiting to buy the hardware!!!!

Another thing might be to try the Suse 64 bit AMD binaries !!