Mandrake 10.0 Beta 2 Released

spinynorman

2004-02-03 Mandrake Linux 10.0 beta 2 known problems

* The i810 installation seems to fail in graphic mode

2004-02-03 Mandrake Linux 10.0 beta 2

* Available througth bittorrent http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/torrent/Mandrak...0-beta2.torrent

* kernels 2.6.2rc3 and 2.4.25pre7

* pre version of XFree86 4.4

* pre version of KDE 3.2

* Mozilla 1.6

* new drakconnect

* final menu structure

Just installed it. Only problem i had was to re-configure the network connection. Other than that it all works great. CD3 has the kernel sources so i was able to rebuild the Nvidia drivers. Menu's have been fixed, with a few extra goodies added on.

The new KDE is clear crisp and bright, though the default folders were a bit large for my liking, easily altered in the control centre though.

MDK control centre works great, its new and improved.

Can't find any faults at the moment, looks like a winner !!!

hmmmm, I wonder if it will support my SiS900 onboard ethernet (my chipset wasn't supported in 9.1 or 9.2, I'm hoping it is since I miss mandrake :D )

mark@d-216-195-130-149:~/KDE/ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.2/SuSE/ix8
6/9.0> su root
Password:
d-216-195-130-149:/home/Mark/KDE/ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.2/SuSE/ix86/9.0 # rpm -Uvh *.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
       kdebase3-SuSE <= 9.0 conflicts with kdebase3-3.2.0-7
       libgnokii.so.1 is needed by kdepim3-3.2.0-3
       graphviz is needed by kdevelop3-3.0.0-3
d-216-195-130-149:/home/Mark/KDE/ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.2/SuSE/ix86/9.0 #

I'll probably wait till the final release comes out, but it sounds very promising :D :headbang:

Mark

Mark, what's the proper name for the driver you need? I could have a look if it's there.

In other words, yes I just installed the 2nd beta.

First impressions:

the font is borked, the worst monospace font with 2 inch spacing between each single character shows up on kdm and all kde stuff. I did manage to choose acceptable fonts in kde cc, so except for filenames inside konq, all looks ok now.

Had quite a bit of trouble with my ethernet setup; I have a realtek 8139 which needs module 8139too, and this works properly, except that the drakconnect tool happily reports that it is using some VIA kt266 network interface....

First this made the installer crash, then I went on booting into the new system (since I was at the lasts screen anyway) but there I got to the bad fonts, figured I'd not gotten through everything, redid the install, still had the ugly unusable fonts...

Then I had to figure out how to do the setup without gui, since it crashed again,...

managed to get the local network up, but had been messing with 'route', so couldn't connect to the internet (but could connect to my server..).

Reboot (hate that, but wanted to time the boot speed anyway -- 54 secs from lilo to logon, another 20 secs or so from login to kde desktop), and here I am.

I have to say: the second cd just finished downloading, the 3rd is on its way now...

which also means lots of apps are lacking..

some good: both my usb mouse mx700 and my ps/2 scrollmouse are working, without me adding anything special to the xfconfig file (the way I used to with 9.1, 9.2)

xmms plays way too fast without any sound, no kmix or alsamixer around, not even with urpmi.... hmmm, work to do.

At least the internet is working, I'll get there at some point..

hmmmm, I wonder if it will support my SiS900 onboard ethernet

the sis900 onboard ethernet is in fact supported in both mandrake 9.1 and 9.2, i had it on my ECS K7S5A and never had any troubles getting it to work.

the module is simply "sis900"

hmmmm, I wonder if it will support my SiS900 onboard ethernet

the sis900 onboard ethernet is in fact supported in both mandrake 9.1 and 9.2, i had it on my ECS K7S5A and never had any troubles getting it to work.

the module is simply "sis900"

I tried it before (with help from this forum) and I guess I have the chipset for that SiS900 that isn't supported by 9.1 or 9.2 which is why I'm using SuSE 9.0 for now :P Once the final release of mdk10.0 comes out I'll give it a try again :D

Mark

I have to say that I was pretty suprised to see such a ready OS which is still a beta. At least following things are positive:

-DrakConfs, DiskDrake etc names are removed. Now newbies aren't so afraid to see what they are. Also using more describing and simplier names makes remembering menu structure easier

-KDE 3.2. Fast and still a candy. Customizable (hmm...is it english?)

-Stable. 9.2 used to freeze every now and then, but beta1 and beta2 haven't been freezing

-NTFS-support is much better (faster). Since I have my mp3-collection (a massive one) in my NTFS-partion (XP), I do appreciate this feature

BTW, I have read that Mandrake 10 would include ReiserFS-file system which is rumoured to be a "de facto" of future. Is this true?