Major Problem with KDE3

ThunderVamp9

I've been using Mandrake for a couple of weeks now, and ran into a problem this weekend.

While using KDE, I sometimes experience problems of parts of fonts not being visible, broken letters basically. Thinking it could be a graphics driver problem, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for Linux, and installed them. Didn't notice any change, nothing seemed to go wrong, all seemed OK. I then shut down Linux later on and went to WinXP for some gaming. Then , on Saturday, I rebooted the machine back to Linux, and after the screen flickered a couple of times, I was only able to get to a CLI login, no GUI. And I can't get KDE to run. I have no choice but to assume the drivers for the GF4 did it, but have NO idea how to go about fixing the problem.

Can anyone assist me with this?

I was thinking of just formatting and reloading the Linux partitions, but will doing so screw up the Boot loader that is already on the system? I have to have access to my WinXP installation, and can't risk screwing that up.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey !!! Your not running windoze here, you don't need to reformat or re-partition anything. Tell us what version of mdk your using, and we will tell you what nvidia drivers you need. If your using mdk 9.00 we will telll you how to rebuld them for your kernel, or we can supply rebuilt drivers if your feeling lazy, or unsure how to do it yourself. Just give your setup details.

OK. Go here : http://mdkextras.by-a.com/ and d-load the rebuilt nvidia kernel and GLX files.

Remove any previously installed nvidia kernel drivers.

Install the new nvidia kernel first, then the GLX file.

Then use a text editor ( as root or su ) to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

Look for Section "Device"

Driver "nv"

Change the "nv" to read "nvidia"

The GLX is line already added by default in mdk 9.00 .

Save the file

Then press Ctrl>Alt> Backspace to restart the X server. You should see the nvidia splash screen, and thats it. ( hopefully )

I had the exact same problem. I found it originated when I installed the nvidia drivers from the CLI.

The first time I installed the nvidia drivers it worked fine, but that time I did it from the GUI and then just restarted the X server.

See if any of the other window managers work. Only KDE would not work. The others seemed okay.

• 6 months later...
Guest Adriano

I ran into the problem described by ThunderVamp9: sometimes my fonts are broken on kde. It looks like hey had been compressed vertically. You can see a screenshot of the problem here (it's the last thumbnail). I do not have an NVidia card, just a Trident 3D Blade. Anyone knows how to fix this?