ppp0 down

Kieth

I am still having problems with my ethernet connection. It will not stay up. After connecting, and while downloading files, after a couple of minutes it just quits, even though the modem is still connected to the phone line. In terminal, I typed adsl-status, while downloading, and after it quit. Below are the results. It will not let me re-connect until I re-boot the computer. Any help to resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kieth

# adsl-start

. Connected!

# adsl-status

adsl-status: Link is up and running on interface ppp0

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol

inet addr:80.182.100.44 P-t-P:192.168.100.1 Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1

RX packets:646 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:634 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:3

RX bytes:765125 (747.1 Kb) TX bytes:36890 (36.0 Kb)

# adsl-status

adsl-status: Link is up and running on interface ppp0

inet addr:80.182.100.44 P-t-P:192.168.100.1 Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1

RX packets:1085 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1057 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:1399883 (1.3 Mb) TX bytes:61122 (59.6 Kb)

# adsl-status

adsl-status: Link is attached to ppp0, but ppp0 is down

# adsl-stop

Killing pppd (2153)

Killing adsl-connect (1930)

# adsl-start

................TIMED OUT

/usr/sbin/adsl-start: line 191: 2186 Terminated $CONNECT "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1

# adsl-status

adsl-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe)

Hello Gowator,

Thanks for coming back to help me. As you can see from my post, I was able to get rid of eth9. Anyway, yesterday I called my ISP technitions and complained about being disconnected. They are supposed to let me know if it is their problem. I originally thought it was, but then I began to have doubts. That's why I wrote a post here. After reading your post, I tried to connect and update some files through MCC. My var/log/message file (which is really, really, really long!!), states in part:

Feb 3 21:30:04 localhost MandrakeUpdate[1876]: Extracting header of kdelibs-common-3.1.3-35.1.92mdk.i586 from /var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.updates.cz

Feb 3 21:30:15 localhost MandrakeUpdate[1876]: Installing package ftp://ftp.edisontel.it/pub/Mandrake_Mirro....92mdk.i586.rpm

Feb 3 21:30:15 localhost MandrakeUpdate[1876]: Installing package ftp://ftp.edisontel.it/pub/Mandrake_Mirro....92mdk.i586.rpm

Feb 3 21:30:58 localhost drakconf.real[1863]: modified file /etc/mcc.conf

Feb 3 21:30:58 localhost su(pam_unix)[1857]: session closed for user root

Feb 3 21:31:00 localhost adsl-stop: Killing pppd

Feb 3 21:31:00 localhost pppd[1788]: Terminating on signal 15.

Feb 3 21:31:00 localhost adsl-stop: Killing adsl-connect

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost pppd[1788]: Connection terminated.

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost pppd[1788]: Connect time 2.5 minutes.

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost pppd[1788]: Sent 11302 bytes, received 107399 bytes.

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost pppoe[1789]: read (syncReadFromPPP): Session 39346: Input/output error

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost pppoe[1789]: Sent PADT

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost pppd[1788]: Exit.

Feb 3 21:31:06 localhost /etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregister event not supported

Feb 3 21:31:20 localhost su(pam_unix)[1974]: session opened for user root by (uid=501)

Thanks for the help.

Kieth

Im grasping in the dark a bit...

edits: So if anyone else has ideas go ahead, i won't consider it rude :D endedit

But if it was me Id look for a pattern:D

grep pppd /var/log/messages

See if you always get 2.5 mins ...

This must be REALLY frustrating..... if its a updates problem your in catch-22 ....

This part looks suspicous

Feb 3 21:30:58 localhost su(pam_unix)[1857]: session closed for user root

What is your security level ???

Perhaps try reducing it, at least until you solve this....

also perhaps try the thing from the command line as root.

Im on NT at work but its something like

urpmi update

try a man urpmi to be sure!!!!

If you have contribs in your urpmi sources it might be a good idea to take it out before you run this!

Edited by Gowator

Gowator, I would have written sooner, but I have had a bad case of the flu, so I could not even think straight.

This is what I did before your post:

I tried using urpmi-updates in terminal (in root), and it still cut off after a short time.

In terminal, I also tried adsl-start, but it still did not stay connected long.

I also used tkpppoe, and even though it hooks up immediately with the ISP, I still cannot browse too long.

What I did after your post:

I tried to find, in /var/log/messages, for some sort of pattern. I did not see any. There were a couple of messages that I saw often, though.

"localhost kernel: eth0: Too much work at interrupt, IntrStatus=0x0010"

"/etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregister event not supported."

"Serial link appears to be disconnected."

The problem is not just with updates, but even with browsing.

This entry:

"Feb 3 21:30:58 localhost su(pam_unix)[1857]: session closed for user root"

can be explained (I think) from the fact that tkpppoe (and kppp) hase root as the user.

I changed my security of tkppoe to none, and my computers security to poor (from standard), and the problem still exists. I used tkppoe, and connected to the ISP, but I did not open any browser or do anything on the internet. I just waited. Well, nothing happened. After about 10 mininutes, I opened up konqueror and went to www.mandrakeusers.org. Then I waited. After the page was completely loaded, I opened another page. After it was completed loaded, I opened another page. No problems. Therefore I decided to do an update with MCC. I was able to update a couple of small .rpm files, but when I tried a large file, it stopped. I stopped tkpppoe and then tried to re-connect, but it would not let me. I can only re-connect after I re-boot my computer. This is the reason I think it is a Linux problem.

I then changed my security level back to standard, and repeated the above procedure, with the same result. Therefore it does not seem to be that.

I have talked a couple of times to a technician with my ISP, and they do not know what is wrong, but are trying to find if it is their problem. I do not have problems with it in Windows98.

Kieth

I just received a note from my ISP. Briefly (as I must translate it from Italian), it states:

"We have not found any problms with your connection ADSL. The same type of connections with Mux ADSL analogs, work fine.

The problem could be the distribution you are using. For instance, for Mandrake, there exists a specific package pre the ethernet modem, called SPEEDTOUCH, on the installation cds. You must realize that, for browsing, Linux uses browsers such as Mozzilla (which is the same as Netscape) and Kongueror, depending on the desktop you are using. Therefore you must determine if the browser is blocking or the modem, and if it is the last, you may update the proper packets to resolve the problem."

Kieth

Could the problem be eth0? I changed the settings a couple of times, and it still boots up, saying OK?

Kieth

# ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:7D:E9:34:43

inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:86 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:142 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:34757 (33.9 Kb) TX bytes:18198 (17.7 Kb)

Interrupt:5 Base address:0x8000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:3910 (3.8 Kb) TX bytes:3910 (3.8 Kb)

inet addr:81.211.147.190 P-t-P:212.151.128.83 Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:621 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:422541 (412.6 Kb) TX bytes:115964 (113.2 Kb)

I installed a Typhoon Speednet High Speed PCI Card (10/100Mbps). To that, I connected an Alcatel adsl Modem (Alcatel Speed Touch Home). For the modem, it states:

hardware specifications:

-LAN interface

-10BaseT (RJ-45), optionally ATMF (RJ-45)

-WAN interface: ADSL line (RJ-11)

-Physical specifications: . . .

-Power requirements: . . .

Line specifications.

-Up to 8 Mbps downstream

-Up to 800 kbps upstream

-ADSL standards compliant: . . .

Protocol specifications:

-Bridging (RFC 1483)

-PPP/ATM (RFC 2364) using PPTP

-Support for PPPoE (RFC 2516)

On the back of the modem, there are 2 connections to go to the computer, which are labled: 1) 10Base T/MDI-X (which is where I have it connected), and 2) ATMF-25.

The modem is connected to the phone line, by means of a filter. That way we can still use the phone.

I also have another modem (which is what I'm using now). It's an external 56,000Bps Data/Fax/Voice modem. At the moment, I can't think of what the connection is on the back of the computer. :woops: It is not a usb, but the small pin connection.

Kieth

:woops: No driver for my LAN card. :woops:

# rmmod rtl8139

rmmod: module rtl8139 is not loaded

# insmod rtl8139

insmod: rtl8139: no module by that name found

On the Typhoon driver disk, it has a file about getting the driver. I downloaded it, and copied it to /tmp/netdrivers/ (according to the instructions where I downloaded it - www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html)

I followed the instructions to install it, which are:

#tar xfvz netdrivers.tgz

#make

#make install

At the make command, it has many, many errors, but the first few are:

# make

Makefile:46: No kernel version has been specified.

Assuming 2.4.22-10mdk.

Set the KERNVER variable to specify a different kernel.

Makefile:59: The kernel header files do not appear to be installed on

Makefile:60: this machine. You likely need to install the kernel source

Makefile:61: or the kernel-headers package.

cc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -I -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DMODVERSIONS -c -o pci-skeleton.o pci-skeleton.c

In file included from pci-skeleton.c:108:

/usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error "======================================================="

/usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"

What should I do now? I really appreciate the help.

Kieth

Another boo boo. I went to MCC, then the Network & Internet section. There I looked again at the LAN card, and the driver is listed as 8139too. In Terminal it states:

# insmod 8139too

Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o.gz

insmod: a module named 8139too already exists

# rmmod 8139too

8139too: Device or resource busy

Kieth

Ok, lets try and work out exactly what you have...

Can you do a direct link to the product you have,

I found This card but its a DSL card, not ethernet.

Also, this looks more promising another card

I see its got lights, Your DSL modem will be 10Mbit so presumably only one light will light up when they are connected. (meaning its running at the lower rate)

When you say you got rid of eth9, what do you mean... was it not eth0:9 ???

The ethernet card doesn't communcate with the modem using TCP/IP but pppoe. Hence ot shouldn't have an IP address becuase this will be assigned to the virtual interface ppp0.

i dont really like the Mandy wizard becuase when it goes wrong its a real pain to sort out.

However, I wonder if you can't just remove all your interfaces and start again ??

Perhaps the easiest way is through linuxconf BUT this only works on 9.1 and below not 9.2.... what eversion on Mandy are you using.

I went into MCC and re-configured my LAN card. I did not put in an IP address. Now when I boot up, it does not OK my eth0, but gives me again eth0:9, assigning it this number: 127.255.255.255. This is OK'd.

I went to this web site to check the speed of the modem, and it went well. http://151.99.129.53/luxa/luxatv/company/c...connessione.htm

Then I tried to download a file, and it quit. It isn't just while I'm downloading files when it stops, though. It's also while I am just browsing. It acts as if it can't handle too much downloading (or browsing) without taking a break to rest.

Kieth