Router Setup

mtweidmann

This isn't strictly a Linux question, but I'm hoping someone out there can help. We're in a student house, and have all our computers networked together and attached to the internet using a D-Link DSL-504 ADSL Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall.

We want to run a FTP and HTTP server so we can access our files from the outside. So we set up an old spare machine with apache and a static IP address. All the house machines can access it perfectly, but we can't work out to make it accessable to the outside world.

First step was to open the ports on the router we needed. We used the GRC site to verify that the ports are open and there they were. Next step was to set up the port redirection:

Protocol: TCP

From Port: 80

To Port: 80

Internal IP address: 192.168.0.10 (the static IP of the server)

We then typed our external IP address into a browser and of course nothing happened. :( XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:80

Anyone suggest what we are doing wrong?

Hey! I have the same problem! but I think my thread was forgotten :'-( :-P

If I get any time when my brother isn't on the other comp, I'm gonna try my other router...but that's not gonna happen anytime soon...

Thanks for the advice people, me and housemate we playing with it all last night. We did manage to make the server visible from the oustide! :D But only by setting the firewall to pass everything and re-direct all the ports to the server. Not the secureist of settings. :( We are now trying to work out how to block some stuff and not others.

• 2 weeks later...