Okay...Now sound?

javaguy

:D

I have an Asus A7NX8-VM motherboard with an AMD 1.6 GHz processor. I get no error messages for sound. I've double- and triple-checked that everything is plugged in and turned up, but my speakers remain silent. I'm using the snd-intel8x0 driver, which the control center (I'm running Mandrake) tells me is the default for my card. Any advice?

Thanks!

Follow-up: This is wierd. I decided to play some Enemy Territory (in erie silence), and when I got on an emplaced MG and started firing, I could hear it, whisper-soft in one speaker, the first sound I've heard out of my speakers since I upgraded my motherboard. I double-checked all my connections and made sure that the speakers themselves were turned up (they're actually set at a level that would have been uncomfortably loud before). Then I did an aumix-q, and this is what it said:

vol 65, 65, P

pcm 65, 65

speaker 60, 60

line 65, 65, P

mic 65, 65, R

cd 65, 65, P

igain 67, 67

line1 65, 65, P

phin 65, 65, P

video 65, 65, P

Does this look normal?

Then I went to play a regular sound file...nothing, even with sound turned all the way up. Not a whisper.

Obviously something works. I don't get error messages, and Enemy Territory makes at least a whisper of a sound (my settings in ET have the sound cranked all the way up, too). So it can't be a driver problem, can it?

Well this might not be a very helpful post but you could upgrade to the latest version of Mandrake (9.2) to see if that one has a better driver for your soundcard.

You can also search the net for an updated linux driver for your integrated soundcard.