KGPG & Private Key

mtweidmann

I've set up KGpg on my machine and created myself a Private/Public key pair. Now I want to re-build my machine but want to keep the same Private key. I tried clicking the export button and then imported it onto my laptop to test the process. Needless, it didn't work. :(

What am I doing wrong?

Good question! I never realized there is no export secret key menu item.

But I suggest you use command line to do it rather than waste time figuring it out.

I think $ gpg --export-secret-keys [names] will do it. If you cannot remember you secret key name, you can find it from cli with $ gpg --list-secret-keys I think. Check man:gpg for the definitive answer. That should get you going. You can also copy the key file if you can locate it.

Hope this helps. :)

p.s. did a bit more checking and here's a more complete instruction:

to export a private key:

gpg --export-secret-key -a "User Name" > private.key

This will create a file called private.key with the ascii representation of the private key for User Name.

It's pretty much like exporting a public key, but you have to override some default protections. There's a note (*) at the bottom explaining why you may want to do this.

From GPG Cheatsheet webpage

Edited by kmack