Autofs crashes system when linked to /mnt/floppy

cardassianscot

Having had problems using supermount, I have switched to using autofs for floppy disk access although I still use supermount for CD access. When I install autofs it all works fine and continues to do so if I create a symbolic link to the floppy disk in most places. However, if I create a symbolic link from my automount floppy disk directory to /mnt/floppy, then the system hangs when I try to log in (it won't log in to GNOME or KDE, I can switch to a terminal Ctrl-Alt-F1 but trying to switch back to X gets me a blank screen from which I can't escape). I also can't stop or restart autofs, while it says it was successful it reports an error (sorry can't remember the exact error but I will recreate the problem and post if neccessary) and keeps a process running. This same error also causes the computer to fail to either halt or reboot (it hangs when it gets to stopping autofs). This problem only occurs with Mandrake 9.0 not 8.2.

(This only happens after I access a floppy disk. But always happens after this, even if the computer is rebooted, or even turned off and then turned on again.)

Obviously one way of stopping the problem is to link /misc/floppy to somewhere other than /mnt/floppy. However, KDE programs have floppy icons shortcuts in their open and save dialogues and I would like my users to be able to use them. Of course this could be causing the problem (even though the same problem happens in GNOME).

So, does anyone know why this problem is occuring, or can I change the location of the floppy shortcut in KDE applications or disable this feature to avoid confusing my windows-loving users.

Thanks

Be carefull. Autofs and fstab should not point to the same places. Also, if /mnt is to be the place to be controlled by autofs, you should now that you won't be able to access anything under /mnt, except via autofs. So if you have /mnt/windows for example, either reconfigure it to be accessed via autofs, or use a different mount point.

Yves.