Suse 9.0

Yet another question from this linux n00b. I am currently running GAIM .67 which came with Suse. I would like to upgrade to the new relase that is at sourceforge. I noticed that there isn't a tar or rpm file for it for Suse only binary. I have never compiiled anything in linux yet so I'm a bit nervous about how to go about it. If I remember correctly I selected the packages that contained compilers when I installed Suse. My question is how would I go about this? Do I need to remove my previous version of GAIM (if so how do I do that) or is there a way to upgrade after I compile (how do I compile) Thanks for having patience with me guys, you are helping me learn each day. Thanks for any help.

Mark

I tried using the tar.gz file from sourceforge.net, I extracted it just fine. I then proceeded to do a "./configure" and here was the output at the end:

checking for pkg-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** A new enough version of pkg-config was not found.
*** See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/
configure: error:
*** GLib 2.0 is required to build Gaim; please make sure you have the GLib
*** development headers installed. The latest version of GLib is
*** always available at http://www.gtk.org/.

I see it tells me where I can get Glib. I did some more reaearch and it said that all that stuff should be on CD and that downloading from the net would be a last resort. All I have for SuSE 9.0 cd's is the live cd and the ftp boot. So, do I need to download this from the net or is there some way to snag it from one of those suse disks? Sorry if this seems like a very trivial matter, but I am really trying hard to get things to work without having to ask for too much help. Thanks for any hlep you can give.

Mark

or you can use this

http://www.usr-local-bin.org/gaim.php

made for suse 9.0 rpm

I tried that but without much luck, looks like I need more software to be able to do it:

linux:/home/luser # rpm -Uvh /home/luser/gaim-0.75-100.SuSE.ulb.2.i586.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
       gtkspell is needed by gaim-0.75-100.SuSE.ulb.2
       libgtkspell.so.0 is needed by gaim-0.75-100.SuSE.ul

When you installed, did you install gnome and gnome devel packages? if not, go into yast2, install software and check off on gnome and it should install from ftp i think since you used the ftp install method. I'm guissing here, but that should work.

When you installed, did you install gnome and gnome devel packages?  if not, go into yast2, install software and check off on gnome and it should install from ftp i think since you used the ftp install method.  I'm guissing here, but that should work.

I downloaded those packages and tried to install but it didn't work....then I figured I might need to su to root so I did and it went smoothly :D I then launched GAIM and checked the version and it was 0.75 :D Thanks for the help, I have so many questions since I'm a n00b that when I finally get around to solving a problem it's a big relief, thanks again guys B)

Mark