sharing dialup modem connection

hnash53

Hi. I was referred to this forum from MandrakeLinux for its "friendliness and eagerness to help." We'll see.

I am attempting to teach myself some linux networking. I have two identical machines, with identical NICs, connected via a known good crossover cable, both machines running Mandrake 9.2. I was able to initially configure each NIC with a static IP address and netmask. One of the machines has a dialup modem which is working. I was able to ping each machine from the other as well as the ppp0 interface. However, when I did ssh, connection was refused. The mandrake config tool indicated both ethernet interfaces were "up."

I used the Mandrake configuration tool to share out the dialup modem internet connection. Now I cannot ping either machine. The one machine with the dialup modem can still dialup and connect to the internet and I can browse web sites.

I am having a hard time sorting out default gateways and gateways. What IP address should I assign as the gateway (default gateway?) on the internal machine? What IP address should I assign as the gateway (defaulty gateway?) on the other machine?

I appreciate your replies.

I learned that mandrake gateway is extremely poor at dialup sharing. I use firestarter for this. The server machine will have the gateway assigned by ppp and the shared machine needs the gateway to be setup as the ip address of the server machine.

Now I cannot ping either machine. 

That's the firewall (shorewall). Did you try to browse with the other machine (the client) ? It's possible it works even if you can't ping.

A solution:

!! it's for ML9.1 !!

modify /etc/shorewall/policy like this:

###############################################################################

#SOURCE DEST POLICY LOG LEVEL LIMIT:BURST

masq net ACCEPT

fw net ACCEPT

#rv

masq fw ACCEPT #<==== HERE

fw masq ACCEPT #<==== and HERE

#fin rv

net all DROP info

all all REJECT info

###############################################################################

I'm not sure it's the most elegant solution but at least it works and I was told it's safe enough

I am having a hard time sorting out default gateways and gateways.  What IP address should I assign as the gateway (default gateway?) on the internal machine?  What IP address should I assign as the gateway (defaulty gateway?) on the other machine?

for the server, let the gateway empty. for the client, I'm not sure if it runs linux (with Win98 it's empty). try leaving it empty. If it does not work, try setting the IP address of the server.

Btw: as you have run DrakeGw (ICS wizard) on the server, it installed a dhcp server on it. So you may set a static IP for the NIC of the server but let it as bootp/dhcp on the client.

hope this help

roland