Computer has random freeze with MDK9

Guest Pham

Hello !

All the installation of MDK 9 was OK (everything was recognized) but I experienced random computer freeze (well actually the screen is frozen, and I can't use neither mouse nor the keyboard), and I can only do a manual switch off...

Especially when the computer is heavily loaded, suddenly all windows frozed and I can only move the mouse pointers. Shortly after (2-3 seconds) the computer hang.

It happened with KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, and iceWM.

I've tested MDK8.2 and have no problem at all. So I think that it's not the video card drivers but directly the XFree86 which is the problem ? I've tested the GATOS drivers but computer also crash with them...

My configuration :

Celeron 500Mhz and 64 Mo RAM on an ASUS P3BF motherboard, video card ATI All-In-Wonder and 20 Go on an IBM hard drive.

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing and if someone could get me some advice to correct the problem.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same problem. :( Unfortunately, I'm a Linux noob and unable to help you. I usually get a random crash while in Linuxconf, but things like Konsole also seem to trigger it. I'm sure my HDs are ok - a SpinRite v5 level 4/5 test says so anyway.

Something odd I noticed - the caps lock and scroll lock buttons flash when the crash happens.

I've installed Mandrake 9 on my older box and set up IP masquerading, though at present it's the other way round: my Win2k box giving ICS to my Linux box. I'd like eventually to ditch Windows altogether once I build up my utility archives, and suchlike.

If it helps, my Linux box is:

AMD K6-2 @ 350MHz

192Mb RAM

27Gb hard disk [6+8+13]

usually KDE 3.0, but also Gnome or IceWM

OT [apologies], I noticed a problem in RPM with dependencies while installing Caitoo, and it doesn't seem to run properly - just pops off the task bar. Any clues?

TiA,

Fatman

Thats exactly the same as what happens to me, in my other topic. And I get the same flashing caps/scroll lock buttons. This is weird...

amd athlon 900

256 ram

45 gigs

mandrake 9.0

KDE 3.0

GeFore 2 mx 400

Sweet... let us know if you find anything?

Btw, there's an interesting post "System isn't responding" in the Tips and Tricks section. Apparently the system won't COMPLETELY freeze. :)