ISDN Dementia

Guest kennygair

Guest kennygair

HI all

As a newcomer to Linux (I have been trying to make a successful switch from the Microsoft handcuffs for some time) I am competely unable to configure my ISDN connection through my copy of Mandrake 8.2. I have BT's Home Highway service installed with their own USB interface however I have discovered that, after some searching, it would appear that BT are offering no help or drivers for anyone using an OS other than Microsoft's offerings. So, in my plight, I discovered and was assured that the purchase of the Zoom Hayes Accura PCI ISDN Terminal Adapter would be the answer to my problems. I have duly installed the said card and it has been recognised by Mandrake (YIPPPEEEE I thought). However, even though the card has been recognised and it appears to be correctly installed, I cannot gain any access to the internet whatsoever. As a relative newbie to the wonderful world of Linux I am desperate to get this sorted out but I am afraid I am unable to do so. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution? Please, please help........tear me away from Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance

Kenny Gair

(poor Scottish Linux newbie)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kenny,

configuring ISDN via Mandrake Control Center didn't work for me either (in 8.1), and I have an Eicon card. but it worked just fine using isdn4linux and doing it the way described in the HOWTOs ( http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cisdn.html , http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cisdn2.html ) available on mandrakeuser.org. It has some shortcomings, though, for example I wasn't able to set up two different connections (one for weekdays, one for weekends, for cost reasons, of course), and I had to connect/disconnect via command line, which pissed me off cause I could never remember the bloody commands, but at least I could get connected.

BTW, I installed 9.0 last weekend, and it seems to have solved all my isdn problems. It recognised my card and set up a connection during install time properly. Later I added a second profile for my weekends-connection in Mandrake control center, and i also connect/disconnect via mcc. I use isdnlight now instaed of isdn4linux. So, if you don't mind the reinstall, surely the best solution from my point of view. Everything that gave me a hard time in 8.1 is smooth and easy now (printing, burning cds, isdn) and the new desktop versions seem to have gotten a bit faster. Supermount works great, etc. etc. ...

Either way you need an internal card, there are no drivers for USB interfaces as far as I know.

hope I could help you

cheers

Phil

Guest kennygair

Phil

Thanks for taking the time t reply to my post. I have just managed to aquire my copy of Madrake 9 so hopefully it will sort out my probs. I have yet to try your other suggestion by I will endeavour to have a go as soon as. Thanks for you help. I'll let you know.

Kenny Gair