Installation Problem

renegade_1080

hey,

im installing Mandrake Linux 9.2

for the first time and i've gotten to the point where i have partitioned my 812 mb hard drive. I have set the mount points on both of my linux partitioned and wen its at the stage for "looking for available packages" it the gives me an error saying i don't have enough disk space for installing / upgrade(836740<649798). Can some one please help me or reply back. Thanks

Anthony

Edited by renegade_1080

At the first splash screen hit F1 and at the prompt type and run

expert

It'll ask you how many cd's you want to install with and just tell it 1...not cd2 and 3. You can install stuff after install.

Oh, and welcome!

Edited by bvc

Hey,

sorry for not replying. I have follow your directions and have went through the process but it never gave me the option to instal 1 CD. It was the expert installation but still didn't ask. I'm not sure if this is important but at the beginning of the installation it showed me this step:

"Please Answer

If you want to insert third party kernel modules insert a Linux(ext2FS) formatted floppy containing the modules and confirm otherwise, select no"

what is this step and how can i find the option for the one CD.

812 MB is really small. You are not going to have much room left after makinga swap partition on that. Your going to be stripping it down to a rather bare system. If you can get to the individuall package selectioin part start by unselecting almost everything. Mandrake might not fit on it at all. If I were you I would either find a larger drive or a smaller linux at Distrowatch.com

Firstly like pztach says that pretty small!!!

Anyway, first off make sure you only allocate 12 partition.

The Mandrake installer is buggy.

It adds up the total number of packages and the size and comapres it to what you allocated to /

If you put /usr on a different partition it forgets to take that into account!

If this is a old disk in a new machine and you have loads of memory >512MB then think about not installing a swap partition.

But overall, if you just select 'workstation' and then tick individual packages and don't install them then youll end up woith a pretty bare and uninteresting install.

Unless you have something special in mind then I'd buy a bigger disk, 10GB disks are only a few bucks and you will get so much more out of it!