Cannot unmount /net in shutdown

Guest DuoICE

Hi, all

I installed ML 9.0 on a Celeron500 machine to use it as a desktop system, a firewall and a samba server for a Win98 box.

The first session after installation could not shut down correctly, the "famous last words" being:

Unounting NFS filesystem: Cannot MOUNTPROG RPC: RPC: Program not registered

umount2: Device or resource busy

umount: /net: device is busy [FEHLER]

In that state a cold reset results in filesystem errors, that fschck can not repair.

I've tried to release the /net mounting point with "fuser -k /net" before shutdown, the automounter amd was killed as i had intended, but the last words were just the same.

The questions now are:

:arrow: What if i delete the /net entry from /etc/fstab and/or /ect/auto.master?

:arrow: Do i need that mounting point for samba?

:arrow: Will automount be content or just reimplement that entry?

:arrow: Do i need automount when there's a supermount in ML kernels?

:arrow: Can I use NFS instead of samba to share/acces shares with/on a Win98 box?

I have this problem as well on a Dell Laptop. I haven't been able to find an answer. I found this problem on several forums with no answers posted. In the event I can find something I'll post it.

I just installed 9.0 last week and (as a newbie) had a confusing time with that. However, after booting up the installation process a few times and digging around the 'configure services' part it looked like there were redundant automounting services, so I ditched the one that was bugging me.

Can't remember for sure which one it was, but I believe it was 'amd'. I was able to shutdown and reboot with no problems after that.

There are updates for all the samba services available from Mandrake Update. Try installing them before going on.

There seem to be a few mounting issues in MDK 9, I've had big trouble with supermount especially and auto mounting too. I've resorted to doing all my mounting manually.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...