Suse 9.0

I'm currently running Suse 9 (I'd rather be using mandrake but my onboard ethernet isn't supported with mandrake just yet but I'm hoping it will be in the next release) I'm running a dual boot set up right now of suse/xp, and I want to be able to read my ntfs drive, just read not write. My xp partition is hda1 and I can't seem to get it mounted for the life of me, I also tried posting this on linuxquestions but either they can't figure it out or they are just not replying (seems to be the usual for me) so I figured I would try to have my question answered here since you guys are very fast and helpful. So back to the question at hand, do any of you guys have any ideas of how I could mount this ntfs for read only (I tried doing some googling first and tried some of those results but with no luck) if any of you guys could help me with this I would be able to stay booted into linux much more often. Thanks for any help.

mark

1) su to root

2) mkdir /mnt/windows

3) gedit /etc/fstab *or use an editor of your choice*

4) remove lines referring to hda1

5) add this line:"/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs noatime,ro,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0"

6) exit gedit or other editor

7) mount /mnt/windows

8) go into your filemanager as your normal user and see if you can access /mnt/windows

If that doesn't work, you must be missing the ntfs support from your kernel.

edit: btw, what ethernet card do you have?

Edited by fissy

I just tried that and this was the result:

d-216-195-130-188:/home/mark # mount /mnt/windows
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
      or too many mounted file systems

Although Suse seems like a nice desktop distro I just don't seem to be as happy/comfortable with it as I was with mandrake 9.1

My card is onboard (I hate that) SiS900 which only seems to work with Suse, but tomorrow I think I'm going to get another PCI card that has been tested and in the mandrake hardware database, I think I'll be much happier if I get back to mandrake :D

Thanks for the prompt reply, you guys are definately without a doubt, the best linux forum out there :D

Mark

your sis900 will work in mdk. i just turned mine on to make sure. yes, it's on board. the module that you want is SIS900. just modprobe it and it should work. this is with 9.1. personally i like 9.1 better than 9.2 right now anyhow. hopefully 10 will be as nice.

make sure that you have your ntfs support in the kernel, lsmod. if it's not there then i would modprobe for it. you shouldn't have any problems getting it going.

if your wanting to run 9.1, just get everything installed and then go to the mcc and configure your card there. if there's any probelms, just boot into your backup os, xp, and drop a line here.

cheers.

I blew away everything on my 120gig last night and did a fresh install of Suse 9.0

I was glad to see that Suse mounted my windows partiton (on my slave drive) with no problems...might have gone more smoothly since the windows partition on that drive is FAT32. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me in this thread, I'm sure it wasn't working before due to some error that I probably made.

Mark