Vanishing Menu Items After Mandrake Update

Counterspy

I am totally disgusted with myself for forgetting that the only safe way to update Mandrake is to avoid Mandrake Update. As a consequence I am reinstalling the whole thing for fear of lurking problems on my secondary machine. Fortunately I have all of the updates I need on a CD with 300 Mb. of fixes. This is just the way to keep new users who don't know about forums like this one. I might have saved myself some time by reading your excellent search results but I want a trouble free install since I am loaning my secondary machine to a friend to use while he picks his own. Occurrences like this is the main reason why I don't recommend Mandrake when asked for a choice. It's really too bad. I'm using it now to write this but I have been a user since 7.0. Things could be oh so different.

Counterspy

I know how you feel. Seems since 9.2 every time I did any update the menu would disappear.

Something I had to relookup was the command:

update-menus -v

That should refresh/reload your menu items. As for the update I have ran rather smooth with it after the reload of the menu.

Menudrake also allows the rebuilding of the menus. I needed to do a rebuild after I installed some gkrell plugins. I don't know which part caused the problem, but after the install I have almost nothing left in my menus.

I have just installed 9.2 and had the same problem (.. and solution...reinstall).. Now , which updates should I install first & is there a solution?? I thought I´d stay with 9.1 till all these probs had been found and sorted!

Any answers appreciated . Thanks.

Growler I have heard this is a problem with the xf86 packages thats been around on and off for a while now.

The best and easiest fix is to just do all the updates and if you have a problem use the above fix from the commandline. It worked for me and many others and I've had no problems since.

1) The quote is almost as recent as the posts in the thread I started.

2) It is buried in an unrelated topic.

3) It isn't in the search engine before I found the command line fix.

How in the world is a new user supposed to find that? Quotes are relevant when they are timely, like last September or October. It is not something new users would find even then. IMHO, it is silly to go to the wall to defend the indefensible. Today the Mandrakesoft CEO is quoteds as saying that 9.2 had improved quality over 9.1. Good for them they are making money, albeit with supervision of the bankruptcy court well past March. Let's hope 10.0 is a real improvement. At least we are now hearing from the top and not the perpetual dancing monkey, Duval. See Newsforge if it isn't mentioned on this board already.

Counterspy

I never heard of it until anna mentioned it in that thread. Yes, the search function on the board is easily the worst I've ever seen. I don't bother. I also can't ask a member if they searched first, or tell them a simple search of the board found this in hopes of encouraging them to search next time. Very frustrating.

The real question is, if it works, why in the world isn't it here?

I never heard of it until anna mentioned it in that thread....

I never had the menu bug - very frustrating :devil:

But did not know WHY? Tried to remember what I did. Thought it could be this step mentioned above.

When I installed my parallel system for the live cd, I tested it and it worked.

But I didn't know that until last weekend.

I am not complaining about the search engine since it produced a solution for the command line. Since it appears that both Anna and I found out about this at about the same time, the real question is why isn't that fix documented on the Mandrakesoft site. Then maybe it is on the "Club" site. Oh well. Things change and things stay the same.

Counterspy