• Announcements

• spinynorman

Mandriva Official Documentation

Official documentation for extant versions of Mandriva can be found at doc.mandriva.com.   Documentation for the latest release may take some time to appear there. You can install all the manuals from the main repository if you have Mandriva installed - files are prefixed mandriva-doc.
    • paul

Forum software upgrade   10/29/17

So you may have noticed the forum software has upgraded !!!
      A few things that have changed. We no longer have community blogs (was never really used) We no longer have a portal page.
      We can discuss this, and decide whether it is needed (It costs money) See this thread: Here
Sign in to follow this  
prost

installing graphics card for someone using onboard

I've been using on-board graphics with VESA. I then plugged my nvidia card into the motherboard. I left the monitor connected to the on-board and switched on the PC. It could not reach the login screen. Plugging the monitor into the card, I switched the on-board off in BIOS and I still could not reach the login screen.

When I took the card out and tried to install the nvidia software in runlevel 3, it said no card detected and would not continue. It said something about kernel sources. I have kernel-sources, gcc and make installed in Mandriva 2007.

Later, I plugged the monitor into the card and when it reached the grub loader, I entered run level one. Then I typed 'login' and logged in. Then I entered root mode, and typed 'mcc' (which was the same as 'drakconf') to enter the Mandriva Control Center in text mode and selected the vesa driver. I left root mode but I couldn't reach the gui by typing 'startx'.

'rpm -q kernel kernel-source' gives:

package kernel is not installed

package kernel-source is not installed

yet in the Mandriva Control Center they are installed.

Edited by prost

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this