cable connect

jimhandler

Are there any instructions how to set up linux 9.2 for the wireless cable ? XP is on the same machine (different partition) and works fine with it.

XP wasn't an easy install but I eventually got through the menus. No such luck with the drakconnect menus in KDE. It seems to think I have a modem and I cannot get the type to change from "modem." I do have a winmodem but gave up on that after a few months. I uninstalled the winmodem in XP. Is there such a thing as uninstall or disable in linux ?

I am using one of my 2 USB interfaces with the Linksys WUSB54G wireless adapter.

My machine is:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 512 RAM

Nvidia nforce MCP networking adapter

Other Nvidia controllers

Linksys wireless G USB networking adapter

Intel 536 EP V.92 modem (uninstalled and disabled in XP)

MAC Bridge miniport

COM1, COM2, LPT1 (ECP) ports

2 Samsumg CD's, one R-W

Nvidia geforce 2 integrated gpu

Standard floppy disk

Linux works fine except that I have never been able to connect to the internet. I have installed the matching versions of the kernel. I have the 7 CD version of 9.2 and was forced into reinstalling it from them during my exercises with the winmodem.

I also have zonealarm and Pestpatrol as well as Norton antivirus running in XP.

Are there similar products for linux ?

I am writing this via the XP partition...

Thanks,

jsh

Did uninstall and disable in XP. Made no difference for Linux.

Checked disable and uninstall in 'man' in Linux. No relevance.

Loaded drivers for nVidia but got several error messages...Used both tar and rpm. Same errors.

Linux still sees the onboard winmodem. Should I tell drakconnect wizard Lan or cable ? Neither seems to help.

Holy moly, you don't know what the BIOS is? Ah, well, I'll help you...

First of all, BIOS stands for "Basic Input/Output System". It controls a lot of your hardware-- it's your friend (most of the time).

BIOS isn't related to windows. Well, not in the sense that the BIOS belongs to windows or that windows runs it.

When people say "go into BIOS", they usually mean "Go into CMOS settings". Usually you change the CMOS settings when the computer boots up, usually by pressing the DEL key. It should say something on bootup (before windows loads) about which key to press for system settings.

I removed the win536ep card from the machine and removed it from XP when it showed not connected on "my computer". Then tried Drakconnect again. It Still cannot find the USB linksys wireless connection.

By the way, do you know what CICS is ? It's been around longer than Linux and Unix - and I still make a living with it. And they haven't outsourced it to India yet...

Browsed around the Phoenix Bios menus but saw no references to a modem. I did notice that the onboard parallel port was disabled. Is this it ?

Thanks

Edited by jimhandler

norton and antivirus for linux.. or zonealarm WHAT...!! why do you need thiss.. it is not microsoft.. with any microsoft os you have to have some kinda antivirus.. EKK..

Run unix linus.. NO MORE MICRO CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heya,

ok I don't know if mandrake already has support for these cards ....

Support for 54g-cards is coming along, but I think only recently. To be sure, you'll have to do some more difficult stuff. It's up to you if you want to fo through with this ... I can't guide you through the complete process, but I hope someone more experienced than me can help you further.

A Linksys wireless adapter is listed as being supported (users reported it works anyway ...). But since usb isn't listed I'm not sure.

Here is the list to check for yourself (this list gives 54g-cards that can be run on linux ..don't know if it are them all .). I just had a look and it seems wpc54g (this is the cardmodel that is supported, is not the same as yours (link: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=36&prid=578 see the related products):

http://www.prism54.org/supported_cards.php

So, it seems there is no support for your card as far as I can tell.

BUT it seems they are going to work on usb2.0-support ... I suppose it's matter of looking regularly at the site ..or asking in the forums and seeing if they can add usb2.0-support ...

Out of the news-section:

2003-11-18 19:55 UTC

Prism GT on USB 2.0. GlobespanVirata now has the Prism GT chipset available with a USB 2.0 interface. This is really new so we do not yet have support for it. We'll be looking forward into adding support though. Stay tuned.

Maybe someone else has a solution, but else you'll have to stick with windows for now. Sorry I couldn't help you.

about the programs...

you don't really need a virusscanner, pestpatrol, ... But you need to take care of basic security-things ..like your file-permissions, not working in root or a user that has a lot of permissions, ... If you run a virus as a normal user, it can only damage the files you have permissions for to change, ... this are your personal files as far as I know. You could set a bit on your home-partition that says you don't may execute programs from your home-partition, ... As far as I know there are also only a couple of virusses for linux, .... I think that virusscanners are not so marketabele for linux, ..as for windows, certainly if linux is set up properly. You could for example set the nosetuid-bit on your home-partition, ... There are quite somethings, but you should ask this in another topic or look around , there is quite some stuff about this.

if you really want one (mostly for deleting windows-virusses I suppose) ... you have a free f-prot -version for linux I believe.

Linux has a buiklt-in firewall. The programs you'll find are front-ends for the built-in firewall ....

In the mandrake-control-center you should have an item for your firewall, but it doesn't work so well as far as I know, but mayeb they improved it ...

You have shorewall, ...

but I suppose you'll want a graphical one:

guarddog : http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/ (I think this one is quite nice, but the others can also be ..I have used none of them ..I use shorewall myself, but shorewall is not graphical)

knetfilter (I think you use kde ...can be wrong ..):

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?conte...300ae1326d1083b

kmyfirewall:

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?conte...300ae1326d1083b

Hopes this helps some.

• 3 weeks later...