Kernel2.6 : mdk9.2 or cooker?

BaNaNe

Hi

I would like to try the 2.6 kernel. Should I install Mandrake 9.2 and upgrade the kernel or should I install mandrake 10 (cooker)?

I don't really want to have a good distribution to work but just try 2.6 kernel.

Is mandrake cooker stable enough to boot and run without errors?

I'm waiting your opinion!

@+

Welcome to the board.

Mandrake cooker is not stable, its not meant to be. Its for testing purposes only.

Unless you have a reasonable knowledge of Mandrake Linux, stay away from cooker,

Sugest you install MDK-9.2 which is stable, and then upgrade the kernel to 2.6 if you want to experiment with it.

But beware, the 2.6 kernel from Mandrake is still in its testing stages. It hasn't been released as stable from Mandrake yet. Many people on this board including myself, are running the 2.6 kernel without problems, but that doesn't mean you won't have any.

Search the forums here for tips on upgrading the kernel, or read this link on the "black magic of updating".

Half way down the page it discusses the kernel update.

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/magic.php

Thanks for your answer!

So, I should use Mandrake9.2! OK

But before that, I've several questions!

At this moment, I'm on dual-boot with Windows and another linux distribution. I'm using GRUB to boot these OS. I remember that Mandrake auto-install LILO with its own configuration! So, is it possible prevent the installation of lilo? I would prefer to install mandrake, then reboot my linux distribution to add mandrake in grub config instead of removing grub to install LILO!

I'm waiting for your answer! :jester:

@++