Mouse not recognized after initial installatin

Guest ace

The initial installation of Mandrake appears to go very well. At the point I select the mouse type I am using the tests (buttons/wheel) work properly. The installation goes well through the point when the sytem is rebooted. The reboot process shows no problems until the point when I am presented with the "Welcome to the First Time Wizard". I am supposed to either cancel or ok the wizard, this is where it appears the mouse is not longer recognized. The only option I have is to manually reboot the system, repeat the install, which fails again at the same point. I would really like explore the capabilities of Mandrake Linux but do not know how to get around this problem. Note: I have tried both a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (PS2) and a Microsoft Intellimouse Pro (PS2) - with the same results.

Software: Mandrake 9.0

Computer: Dell Dimension Pentium Pro

Mouse: see above

I am new to linux world and would appreciate any advice on my problem.

When you reboot, and lilo (if using lilo) appears, press Esc>then type

linux 3

This will should take you to console (init 3). Type

mousedrake

and choose a different mouse, like, generic wheel or something other than what you chose at install.

This (if it works for you) will help you get around til you're able to fix the prob.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=983

Since I recieved such a prompt response to my request for help, I thought I should update you on my progress. The only available hard drive I had for the installation went bad, and I have to find a way to fix it or buy another one next week.

Ok, I am back. I fixed my HD, and tried to follow the suggestions offered.

1) I rebooted and at the lilo display entered ESC. At the prompt I entered "linux 3". The next prompt displayed was "call host login". At this point the system appeared to be hung, no keyboard entries were accepted, so I was unable to try the next suggestion "mousedrake". My only choice was to reboot.

2) I then downloaded the suggested patch.pl to floppy and started another installation using Mandrake Linux 9.0 CD 1. I entered F1 at the splash screen and was presented the prompt "boot". At the prompt I entered "patch". The installation continued (Note: I did not see any ativity on the floppy after entering patch). The installation continued as usual and after rebooting the system was hung at the "Welcome to the First Time Wizard" display. No keyboard or mouse interaction was available.

Well that's it - still no Mandrake. I am back asking for help on the installation so I might explore the capabilities of Mandrake Linux. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

mousedrake can be run anytime, including in gui. Reboot and choose failsafe. This should take you to init 3 (console), then at the prompt, login, then su as root by typing

su

<enter root password>

mousedrake (or drakconf and choose config mouse)

Then as anon said, choose a mouse without a wheel. Then type

startx

Try this on several mouse configs.

Back again, I tried the suggestion offered, but no joy.

1. Reboot to lilo and select 'failsafe'.

2. During the message display I noticed an entry indicating a problem with the file system. "Press Y to force file system integrity check". I did so.

3. A display was returned...Status of System....The state of your system is not in sync with the current/updated configurations. Your are allowed to make it current or continue with the current configurations. Here are the commands to execute.

Changing permissions of file /usr/sbin/ppd from 105755 to 104755

Changing owner of file /var/ftp to root.root

Changing owner of file /var/ftp/pub to root.ftp

The options were 1.Do Nothing 2.Do It 3.Help ...First I tried Help, and did not understand it, so I selected 2.Do it.

4. The next display returned was ....Linuxconf 1.28R2: Operations Mode....Select one of the operation mode below or configure the default mode. Current system profile is 'Home'.

Start Graphic & Netword/Text mode & Network/Maintenance Mode/Configure the workstation/Select configuration version/View the boot logs.....I selected Start Maintenance Mode and entered the root password when prompted. This placed me at the prompt sh-2.05b#.

4. At the prompt I tried both mousedrake and drakconf - both worked. The current mouse selection was PS/2|Standard.

5. I then tried "startx" at the prompt, the message returned was "command not found".

6. Using drakconf I tried several mouse selections and then went to the display selection and selected "test". The display test provides a small window where you can accept or reject the display selected. I tried to use the mouse to make a selection but the mouse did not respond.

Thanks again for the help I have received. If there are any more suggestions I am happy to try them out.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I just had the EXACT same problem.

I installed Mandrake 9.0 PowerPack just now, and after the install was completely done, and I booted into mandrake for the first time, NO MOUSE.

I find it hard to believe that a brand new OS doesn't know how to handle a simple mouse. I mean a simple Microsoft 2-button wheel mouse - been around for YEARS!!

I have to say though, that I followed bvc's suggestion and selected Failsafe at LILO, then su to root, then enter mousedrake. Tried going from PS2 Wheel Mouse to just a Ps2 Mouse. Still no mouse. Then tried PS2 Microsoft Explorer Mouse. Worked !!! Thanks bvc.

I have no sound either, but I guess that's another story. I have simple speakers connected to a simple S-B sound card (Live!). Doesn't sound too tough. Must be too hard for mandrake 9.0 to figure out though.

I am back, I had some issues to take care of, and frankly needed a break from mandrake for a bit.

Note to anon, you were correct I have done several new installations.

I found an old 2 button mouse to use. I still have the same results, once the initial installation has completed and the system is rebooted to the welcome wizard I can not interact with the system.

I think the problem may extend to more than simply the mouse. Once I was hung at the welcome wizard I reset the computer and let it reboot to the kde logon. At this point neither the mouse or keyboard were operable.

If any ideas are floating around out there on a way to resolve the problem I am experiencing I would greatly appreciate hearing about them.