cd rom

gmac

I have been given a laptop, (it's an ex company one) it used to have windows on it but this has been wiped now ther is no operating system on it it opens up to C/>.

There is no floppy disc, but I thought I would be able to install mandrake on it booting of the CD rom. I can get in to set up and change it to boot from the CD, I think, but the CD does not seem to work. So far as I know it was working just no longer a high enough spec.

Before I give up and bin it any suggestions. Please be kind I have never tried this kind of thing before.

Toshoba 480 cdt satellite pro pentium 2 6gb 16 mb of ram. Ffisst tried that didn't work. I I can get in to setup pressing esc at start up, change boot priority but this doesn't seem to work. CD itself does not seem to work, although so far as I know it was. I was intending to get a box made up so I xould play around with linux without risking my essential computer- I work at home. I have reached the shallow depths of my knowledge.

Hi,

If you have only MS DOS and you can't boot on the CD or make your CD ROM work, the only and easiest way I see to communicate and reinstall, say Win98SE at first, is Interlink. Do you have INTERLNK.EXE and INTERSVR.EXE (or .SYS) in your C:\DOS or C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND ?

then you will need a parallel port, a special cable or an ordinary parallel Centronic cable with an adapter and an other PC running INTERSVR.

If you never did it before that's quite a work, so better give me your laptop before throwing it to the bin ;)

roland

I have had this problem on older laptops as well. If you can, I would try and boot from any other bootable CD (I typically make a standard one in Nero or similar burning programs first). If you make a bootable disc, burn at as slow of a speed as possible. Some older drives can't read the pits burned to a disc if it is done too fast.

If you can only get to a dos prompt (C:\), you don't want to format the drive until you can find a way to boot to CD. However, if you can see the CD rom in DOS mode, you might be able to use a dos install method, check out http://www.tldp.org/ (the Linux Documentation Project), as I believe it has information on doing this. Also, I am sure that others here can give you assistance.

Can you read the CD from the dos prompt? (check for dos drivers on the harddrive).

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Vejita

• 2 weeks later...

Got ot to work. Turns out I had a faulty installation disc (suse) I tried my mandrake one and it worked perfectly. Only thing is I coked up the installation and get get the graphical interface. I have tried SU then XFdrake but thgis is not working. When I put in SU it just stays with c/ I know it is something simple I am doing wrong but I can't for the life of me work it out. Any suggestions.