Guest Dieter.Rethmeyer

Guest Dieter.Rethmeyer

Hello,

in my computer there are the following drives:

hda: hard disk

hdb: DVD-ROM

hdc: CD Burner

hdd: ATAPI ZIP

Mandrake 9 sets automatically the SCSI emulation for hdc (CD burner) which seems ok. But it also sets it for the ATAPI zip during installation and I am wondering why. I would have expected it to be set for the CD burner and perhaps for the DVD drive, but not for the ZIP.

/etc/lilo.conf and /boot/grub/menu.lst both show "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" as kernel parameters on the append line. Is that a bug or a feature?

And what is needed to swicht off the SCSI emulation for the ATAPI ZIP on hdd? Removing "hdd=ide-scsi" from the boot parameters and changig the fstab entry from "/dev/sda4" to "/dev/hdd4" does not work, on access to the ZIP I get an error message that /dev/hdd4" does not exist. :?:

Guest Dieter.Rethmeyer

The ZIP drive is accessible via the SCSI emulation. I created a desktop icon (modified the one for CD-ROM) and can access and unmount the ZIP disk. What does not work is the "eject" function in the context menu. I disabled supermount just after installation of Mandrake 9.

If you can still eject the zip disk via the button at the front of the zip drive, I think I call that a non-problem. I guess you should've used the modified floppy icon instead of cdrom icon to create the zip icon. Zip is pretty much a big floppy drive :)