DMA won't enable...

This one has me stumped! Thanks to chrisz, I now know more about hdparm and hd features, but still no success, here is the sad story of SoulSe the Geek....

I have an ASUS A7V600 MoBo that I am using with an old Maxtor 40GB hdd, 5400rpm.

When I boot Gentoo, I get an error saying that the DMA on my disk is not enabled and that this could seriously retard the fsck process.

So the first thing I did was try to enable the DMA using hdparm, this informs me that I do not have permission (yes, I did it as root... geek, remember?)

I am almost 100% sure that this is not a problem with my kernel compilation either.

hdparm -tT /dev/hda shows me a speed of around 4.8 MB/s - too slow IMO.

There must be a good reason why hdparm won't allow me to set DMA on

the drive? Can I add hdparm to my boot schedule with rc-update? Or is this the wrong way to do it?

I know I should do hdparm -d1 /dev/hda and then make it stick... but it won't do it... :wall:

The ASUS MoBo has RAID as well.

i think that's hdparms way of saying it won't or can't do what you're asking. I got it once, but can't remember the details. Will hdparm do -I

hdparm -I /dev/hda

and what does it show the hd settings are?

hdparm /dev/hda

Could simply not be happy about the raid or something.

What are the bios setting? Defualt? or User Defined? Make sure all settings are conservative for ide/hd's. Fixed my prob once when hdparm would actually cause worse settings than the default. When I set the hd to Auto in the bios and used hdparm, it worked.

Thanks for the advice!

There does not seem to be anything in the BIOS that will relieve my pain, I also posted on the Gentoo forums and nobody seems to know.

So I reckon I'll compile a 2.6 kernel and see if I can iron it out. Has anybody used one of the boards? Would anyone be able to give me tips for the right modules I should compile? A full spec. sheet for the board can be viewed here: http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V600&langs=01

It has all the chipsets for the onboard LAN, etc. listed, perhaps somebody has the same chips?

That would be super-duper.

Thanks again ;)

w00t! ASUS have some Linux drivers for this board:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/it...odelName=A7V600

Can't install though, this is the error I get:

root@skratch 3c2000 # make load
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skge.o skge.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skaddr.o skaddr.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skgehwt.o skgehwt.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skgeinit.o skgeinit.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skgepnmi.o skgepnmi.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skgesirq.o skgesirq.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o ski2c.o ski2c.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o sklm80.o sklm80.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skqueue.o skqueue.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skrlmt.o skrlmt.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o sktimer.o sktimer.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skvpd.o skvpd.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skxmac2.o skxmac2.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skproc.o skproc.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS   -c -o skcsum.o skcsum.c
ld -r -o 3c2000.o skge.o skaddr.o skgehwt.o skgeinit.o skgepnmi.o skgesirq.o ski2c.o sklm80.o skqueue.o skrlmt.o sktimer.o skvpd.o skxmac2.o skproc.o skcsum.o
insmod 3c2000.o
3c2000.o: 3c2000.o: unresolved symbol __udivdi3
make: *** [load] Error 1

:?: