Latitude D500 & Mandrake 9.2

Got a D500 for Christmas, and have spent entirely too much time getting 9.2 to work. But I do have the core system working now, just need some tweaks to polish it up.

Install from CD works.

Need to apply the 855patch for bios to allocate more than 1MB of video RAM (known issue with i855 chipset, fixed in XFree 4.3.99 and will be in 4.4). Google 855patch, dowload and follow instructions. I'm not sure if I'm going to try the 4.3.99 route or not, since I've got things working with the patch . . .

ACPI appears to be working on some things (klaptop runs). Still looking to run some other tests. Anyone else have luck/suggestions with this?

All Dell mini PCI wireless cards suffer from using non-Linux friendly vendors. I've gotten the TrueMobile 1300 working with Linuxant, and am in the process of getting ndiswrapper to work (can see the card with iwconfig, but can't establish a connection). ndiswrapper is my preferred route, because I don't want to pay the $20 to Linuxant. And about every third or fourth boot, linuxant doesn't start.

Bluetooth. Drivers are properly loading, but haven't tried it out yet.

DVD/CDRW - mplayer and cdrecord working (command line and gui)

Things to do:

rebuild kernel - playing with settings that give both smaller footprint than standard mandrake kernel, and still provides the correct functionality. Starting with 2.4.22 and will then try 2.6.X. Has anyone had success with a 2.6 kernel, and willing to offer suggestions?

SpeedStep - need to get this working - again suggestions

other things? Comments/suggestions/questions are welcome.

• 1 year later...
Guest leeloo

hi!

i have also a dell latitude d500 and mandrake 10 and i can't make my X (graphical OS) work! something is wrong with the settings, i guess.

i already searched the net for some hints (or even solutions) but i couldn't find helpful ones.

i tried XFdrake and tried different settings but i'm still stuck in the console.

please help me (to make me another satisfied linux-user of the community)!

leeloo :help: