Mandrake Control Center 9.0 oddity w/cdrom drive

Dragonpoof

Alright. I'm not sure if this is the right forum section to post this in, but it seemed the most appropriate. I recently installed Mandrake 9 onto my desktop. I realize there are newer up-to-date versions, but this one I already had on CD and decided to give it a try on my tower (since it didn't like my laptop).

Everything runs generally fine so far except for one thing: The Mandrake Control Center. Actually, the problem I may be having could be normal, but it's definitely VERY annoying.

Once I load up the control center tool it asks for the root password. That's fine. No problems there. Say I select something like, HARDWARE on the side menu. All of my options pop up. Now here is where the problem begins. Whenever I select anything having to do with the monitor, either MONITOR or RESOLUTION, the config tool starts probing my cd-rom drive like mad. Even when there's nothing in there, it just keeps on chugging along, spinning nothing, for a good minute. Then, after that whole thing, it just displays the configuration options just like nothing happened at all.

It also tries to access the cdrom drive with other options, such as under SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT using INSTALL/REMOVE SOFTWARE.

It's quite annoying and I'd really like to know if there is any option where I can turn this off. I'd like to be able to play around with my resolution settings to get the best one without having to wait an extra 1-2 minutes just to open up the options screen.

Help!

You can disable supermount -

supermount -i disable

but you'll then have to mount and unmount your cds manually. You can do this from the command line using mount & umount; or you can use KwikDisk. KwikDisk can be added to the taskbar (right click on taskbar; Add/Application Button/Configuration/Hardware/KwikDisk) and then you can tick/untick the cdrom as required.

If you want to keep supermount, just pop a cd in the drive whenever the chugging is likely to start.

Welcome to the board, by the way. :)

[Edited to correct navigation]

Edited by spinynorman