Hardware Upgrade - Can't boot into Mandriva 2010.0

darudey

Hi all,

I'm having trouble booting into my Mandriva 2010.0 One.

Upgraded Motherboard and CPU (Intel Pentium D to Intel Core 2 Duo)

I hit a problem where it says "waiting for device sdc1 to appear (timeout 1min)"

Using Trinity Rescue Kit CD...

I've checked /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst to see if the UUID matches what appears in blkid, and it does.

I then changed the UUID on these two files, and replaced it with /dev/sda1 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 etc.

I still hit the same problem, for some reason, at boot, it still looks for sdc1, even though I believe the location is sda1.

The boot ends with a "Kernel panic - not syncing" message.

Please let me know if you need more info to help me fix this issue.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Can you post the content of your grub menu file? /boot/grub/menu.lst

Also, how many sata devices did you have previously? Is your dvd device sata? Is it in the correct location?

Anytime I switch a board, I simply use the same locations for my devices and the installation locates any new device drivers. This works for Mandriva and Opensuse.

I have corrected this sort of problem with the rescue program on a Mandriva disk.

You can try booting a rescue CD with the same arch as your system (32bits or 64bits). Then mount your “/†partition, then chroot to it, and generate the initrd anew (I’m in a hurry, I hope someone will fill the gaps if needed).

Because the initrd file contains hard references to the boot and swap partitions.

Yves.