Envelope Printing

mandrake_alf

Ok... I've tried them all (listed in the topic and I worked at it for 4.5 hours the other night. OO had the closest thingie to the windoz app, (what's it called... uumm.. something word??) but it only printed out the return address.. no matter how hard I tried.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I print about a dozen or so envelopes a month for various things and I hate to fire up my dual-boot just to use that OTHER appliation to print it out on my linux box printer.

btw, I'm also lookin for a simple to use backup application that can be set up then crond to do timely and routine backups...

TIA

erm... OpenOffice Writer?

What exactly are you trying to do? Just printing out an address field on an evelope?

You could check out Scribus. It's a DTP program, which should give you excellent control over positioning, etc... Although OpenOffice should do just fine (I even think there's a wizard for making envelope fields. Or was that business cards?)

format -> page -> in the top box pick the envelope you want (probably #10) and be sure to pick landscape orientation. say ok, then try printing.

unless you're doing mail merges, you shouldn't need insert -> envelope... i find it easier to just add the addresses and format myself. :P

I have found the envelope printing function in OO to be grossly inadequite and it quite totaly fails to work with my printer. All there is to that.

The only thing I have found that works at all is to manualy enter the envelope size in the page setup and pretend you're printing regular paper.

That goes for every linux app I've ever tried.

Ok... good idea Peep but it still did not print a thing... This time I didn't even get the return address. YA troublesome point with Formate -> Page as envelope is you don't get the options you get with the insert envelope. ie: printer options for how the envelope is/will be fed to the printer. I'm bugged with this because I have 3 other PC's on the network and they all print various and sundary things to this printer. It's great to have linux operate as a print server for them and it saves a ton of money so I don't need a printer on each box... But geessshhh... I don't uneerstand WHY envelopes are such an issue...

... still lookin for solution ...

:wall:

Guest jethrobodine

I've managed to print envelopes in OO after a steep learning curve. I don't know what I was doing wrong but here's what I do now.

Once you have oo writer running and a page visible, select <insert> <envelope>. Make sure you have the sender button checked if you want a return address. I use the right-most envelope orientation with Print from top checked. On the <format> tab, from top to bottom, my settings read: 4.75", 2.06", .39", .39", Env 10, 9.50", 4.13". <Printer> tab: print from top (I have an Epson C82 printer), shift right and shift down are both 0.00". For some reason, oo never remembers my printer and I have to change it from generic. So you may have to click the printer setup button from the <printer> tab. I don't think I've ever had to change the settings other than the actual printer.

Click <insert> and you should see the envelope. If you click on the grey borders of the return and addressee boxes they will become active and you can move them some.

I spent hours one evening trying to print a simple envelope in OO rather than reboot into Word.

I hope this helps.

jethro

I GIVE UP!! I could print a frigin novel with this printer and any WP application I have on my system. BUT... just ask it to do a simple damn Envelope and you might as well ask it to jump off the hard disk and do a strip tease for you..

Thanks jethro, Peep, I appreciate your help.. Next move is gona have to be contacting the OO developers with this problem.

again, thanks all that offered help..

A final note:

Signed up at openoffice.org and entered an 'issue' ticket (they don't have TROUBLE tickets) about this and within 24 hours I had a reply that they were unable to duplicate it so ticket was closed. Possible source of my problem, according to them, was maybe associated or unique to the 'build' of oo 1.0.2 that i was using. Sooo, tried yesterday (two times) to get 71megs of OO 1.0.3 (because I'm afreaid to go with 1.1 and mdk) and that took forever with 56k dial up. Finally goit a copy and it was corrupted... SH#$... will try again tonight but if that doesn't work, I'll just use Star Office 5.2 (which i installed just to see if IT would print and it did with no problem)

OK.. enough bable.. </bable>

till the next booga boo comes along.. :headbang: