squid is getting quite slippery

Peppercorn

Hi all,

I have a continuing problem that has me bereft for ideas. Hopefully, you can help.

I have a server running 9.2 connected to the net 24/7. IT is only running the most basic of services as it has no monitor to run and it is only serving as a dhcp, tcp/ip and ssh server.

It runs squid as a proxy and shorewall as a firewall.

Now the problem....

Everything runs like clockwork for about a day or so, and then I cannot access the net via squid from any client computer.

I can clear the cache but it makes no difference. I can do a restart but it makes no difference. All I can do is uninstall squid and then reinstall it and it will work again. This has happened 3 times now over the last 4 days or so.

Any ideas???? Thanks for any stabs in the dark or light!!

Well, I personally don't use squid but you did ask for suggestions :D

Next time it happens, stop squid '/etc/init.d/squid stop' then

in another terminal as root in the /var/log directory

tail -f syslog

then open another term window next to this one and

start squid again '/etc/init.d/squid start'

I suppose you could do 'restart' but I'm trying to keep the tasks seperate in syslog

During the start script execution, you should see output directly generated by the script

get appended to the syslog as it runs. Hopefully you might see something

pointing to the problem.

Good Luck..

Thanks for the ideas BUT>During the time that you cannot reach the net, you also cannot stop squid! I have tried numerous ways but none work! It just fails to stop.

The other most obvious question is, "What proxy server do you use and is it better than squid?" And if so why?? I am definitely open to any other ideas.

Thanks

I have squid, shorewall and content filtering running on 23 servers at various locations never had a problem.

have you checked your local network range in your acl in squid

have you checked to see if you are turning on logging maybe the log file is full.

also clearing the cache does always clear the dns cache.

Also could be a shorewall problem with the port 3128 then appears to be squid but its shorewall

Hope this helps

Edited by brucer425

Brucer45

As I have stated I am away from my computer for the next week but already I have had a call from my son who has said "Dad I can't get on the net!" And so I had to talk him through urpme and then urpmi of squid! And off she goes again.

You mentioned a few good points that I had'nt thought of. Logging for instance. What is it's allowable size?? And how is it defined? How can I check it??

The ACL has been set to 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

which I understand to mean the entire network range, is that correct? It has been set up via the drakconf wizard.

The last question I have is. How can shorewall act like this?? It works perfectly for a period of time and then just won't allow access to any client computer. Can you enlighten me on this one?? I just figured that shorewall either would or wouldn't work.

Thanks for anymore info you can share for me on this one.