URPMI - "contrib" issues????

Vaxxla

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could possibly help me with URPMI? The problem is this.

After using Easy Urpmi to select mirros for Main, Contrib, Updates and plf, I then tried to update KDE. Everytime I try to download/update it through gui/console I get the same message....

"Medium "Contrib" uses invalid list file:

mirror is probably not up-to-date, try using alternative method.

Unable to install package...."

I have gone through the process of changing "contrib" mirrors several times now, still the same response. BTW I have deleted the previous mirror first, as to not conflict. The real strange thing is that all of the mirrors I have used have the same size list file (15.6MB), but in the URL path to the file is the directory /partial/ in there somewhere, could this be my problem?

Do I need to keep searching all ofthe "contrib" mirrors, to find an up-tp-date one, or I have I missed something out?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in Advance,

V.

You are not the only one with this problem. If you do a search you will find several other posts all about this particular problem.

My advice, ignore the problem. I have the same thing with my sources and it has not stopped me from installing or updating software. It is annoying, but not really important it would seem.

I have no idea how you are supposed to install a non mandrake kde. If this is what you wish to accomplish, I would start a new thread that is just about that issue.

Whenever trying to get an answer to a problem by posting in a forum, always use one thread per problem. Otherwise, if you post multiple problems in a single thread, one or more problems will get missed.

There are people here with experience in installing kde, but they may not look at this thread.

Edited by fuzzylizard

Yup, sorry, I really had two questions, but the main one seems to be rectified....sorta:)

I would like to install KDE3.1.4/but non Mandrake-modified, what i mean by this is I am trying to find binaries of KDE3.1.4 for Mandrake9.2.

I thought that I would be able to Urpmi all of the KDE parts and install, but, well you read my first question:)

Thanks again

BTW I'll start a new thread for this :)

V.

Edited by Vaxxla

Guest kuchwas
After using Easy Urpmi to select mirros for Main, Contrib, Updates and plf, I then tried to update KDE. Everytime I try to download/update it through gui/console I get the same message....

"Medium "Contrib" uses invalid list file:

mirror is probably not up-to-date, try using alternative method.

Unable to install package...."

Mirror are a mess. MandrakeSoft is aware and a fix is in the works. We are testing a new mirror setup in Cooker now. I was going to post a link, but the qa site is down, has been a few days with the holiday.

Here is a workaround. Use this line to update your media fairly often to overcome the miror hdlist.cz being hosed.

"urpmi.update -a -c -f --no-md5sum --wget"

-a = all

-c = clear header cache

-f = force

--no-md5sum = ignore md5 sum on server (biggest cause of problem)

--wget = use wget instead of curl that sucks, sucks, sucks

If the package you want is on the mirror, you will get it - NO errors!

Thanks kuchwas, I'll do that in a mo' :)

I thought that it was probably something to do with the mirrors, but as I'm kinda new to this, I wasn't sure. As I have in my short Linuxing(?) history (6 months) used Topologilinux, Knoppix, Red-Hat, SuSE and now Mandrake (DUH)) and haven't really spent any length of time on any one flavour.

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this many responses, this quickly, TY to you all!!!

V.

Guest kuchwas
thanks kuchwas!  (and can you post a how-to about installing linux on a braun coffeemaker?)

Sorry, if you cannot find your own caffiene, you will never be a linux geek. :D

And the blender is for Margaritas, El Tosoro Margaritas! In a Mason Jar... :wacko:

Guest kuchwas
Is there any way to get the MCC Software Update applet to use wget by befault as well?

Not that anyone has come up with except for an alias in your bash profile. The whole MCC, RpmDrake, Urpmi setup is a perl warpped set of many binaries.

I just use urpmi, urpme, urpmq, urpmf, urpmc from CLI.

It is an active request under consideration in Cooker, but it looks like the mirror reconfiguration will solve it, at least most of it. I have not had to use that "force" command line with the new test mirror.

Edited by kuchwas