Apple Ibook to PC

AussieJohn

Hello. A Happy New Year to everyone around the Mandrake world.

I have a friend who has lots of documents (too many and too large for floppy discs)

on an ibook and wishes to totally transfer them all to a normal PC ( using my computer--- burning to a CDROM and then ultimately loading the CD into her computer at a later date of her choosing. (She has no CD burners on the iBOOK or her own PC and as we all know the iBOOK has no floppy setup.)

The iBOOK has a spare USB port so I am wondering whether I can connect the iBOOK to my PC by using a suitable USB cable, going Usb to USB without doing the complicated sort of Computer to Computer setup I see talked about so much in these forums.

I only want to COPY or MOVE documents from iBOOK to the PC without any other actions or editing from the PC or the iBook.

I am happy to consider advice or suggestions on my idea. If it can be done then OK. If it cannot then I will not under any circumstances consider suggestions that require me to install hardware cards for whatever so please save your time and mine by NOT going in that direction.

Looking forward to hearing from you good people.

Cheers. John (69yrs young........on 4th Jan2004)

:thumbs:

do both the computers have ethernet ports? If so, the easiest thing would be to take a standard network cable and plug one end into the ibook and the other into the pc.

From there you can use some sort of filesharing system. Would be handy if you mentioned what operating systems the involved computers were using :)

-fissy

Thanks FISSY for interrupting your New Years celebrations to drop in a response.

Also my extreme apologies to the Moderators for stupidly placing this thread in the Wrong category. It was only after I had Pressed the "Add Reply" button that I realized my stuff-up.

The iBook appears to have an ethernet card and internal modem according to the text on the Carton.

My system does not have an ethernet card. I have Windows 2000 Pro and also Mandrake9.2. At this stage I am not sure whether my Mainboard A7N8X-Deluxe has on board ethernet. I will have to check this out since I have never ever used an ethernet facility. As far as I can ascertain, the iBOOK uses OS/X or whatever it is described as. It was bought setup and has not been altered since purchase.

Lets keep posting. Cheers. John :D

Some of the profs at my univ use Mac's and most of the students use PC's. Since I am the class geek, I usually get asked to help figure out how to transfer files, etc.

I have used USB flash drives and USB card readers of several types. If you have one with enough capacity, that works well too. I think you can do a USB to USB with one of those cables designed for that, but I have never tried it Mac to PC so I'm not sure. The Mac OS X is very *nix like and many of the same cli commands work great. You can run sftp, etc right from the Mac.

p.s. your mobo does have onboard NIC so you can do that too. I think you need a crossover cable, not a regular ethernet cable though. Don't take my word for it, as I have not done it, but I am pretty sure you'd need a crossover type cable for a two computer setup. Not sure how it works on Mac either.

pps. I looked up your mobo and shazam! It has Firewire and that is a Mac innovation so it should be available to use too. It is fast and built for file transfer use. Now the key is if your mdk recognizes the NIC and firewire options. Bet Win 2K sees them if you get in a pinch. :)

p.p. s. s. Ok, you got my curiousity up... I did some looking and I think you are right, the USB cable is the way to go. See this: PC to MAC data transfer Cable CLICK HERE

Edited by kmack

You can do it with usb, but when I read some stuff about it ... I think it's better for ethernetwhich is teh normal network stuff.

The usb:pc-to-pc, works with polls (like a mailbox: one end puts something in to it annd the other looks at his mailbox at somtimes and pulls teh info out of it ). It's mroe cpu-intensive and not so effective as ethernet I think.

So, if you could I would certainly first try the ethernet-connection if you have choice.

you don't need a crossover cable, just plug a normal network cable into the pc and into the ibook, the pc's network card can do the crossing over. (if one doesn't work, try the other, my brother has that board after i told him to buy it.)

boot into windows 2000 and share a folder with write access (or set up an smb server in mandrake if you know how to do that better), and load up mac os.

You'll need to make sure both computers have IP addresses on the same network, and be sure to take off any firewalls you may have going.

If you have a version of mac osx you should be able to drag and drop files on to your windows computer.

If you have macos, we may have to think again.

-fissy