Mp3Blaster

fatk

I recently installed mp3blaster on the machine and i am having trouble with other users using ssh. I would like to be able to control the player from any computer in my house. I have three different accounts on the machine, all of them are in the same group, and have the same level of access.

Now, on the box, mp3blaster works fine for every account. However, on if I try over ssh on a windows machine using Putty, the player works for root, and myself, the other accounts it "fails to load audio device". Has anyone had this issue before? If so how do I fix it?

Now in the directory where i installed it /usr/mp3blaster, the files are under my accounts name for the owner and the group, however, i gave all the files exec and write privialges and that didn't work. I also then, place the other accounts in my group and that didn't work either. Should i download and install the program completly under root? Would that take away that problem?

Also is the /usr directory a good one to install in, or is there a better option.

Thanks

Okay, so far i have figured out that a user needs to be logged in on the computer for it to work. I noticed that when I said that it worked for me, it was when i was also logged in the computer and also on SSH. Now, I am thinking that the sound device will only work for whomever is logged in. Is there a way that I can make the sound driver universal for all users regaurdless of who is logged in or is there no way to do it.

I don't think its a ownership issue with your sound driver. I have never used this program, but am thinking it may be something like mozilla and multiple user accounts. The key here is it works when your logged in.

Just a guess, but maybe you need to install mp3blaster as root into /root (where it might create a ./mp3blaster folder there) and first start it as root to allow it to create its user accounts properly, something like mozilla does. If it was installed elsewhere, it may be considering your normal user as its root account and thus confusing you and root and "locking" it up for your other users.

Hope this made sense and helps.

your are right, it does make some sense. But since i did figure out that whomever wants to use it with their account needs to be logged in on the computer as well as ssh i wrote my family down how to use the 'who' command so they can see who is on. I also created a generic account that when I am done I log back into the machine so that they have just one account to deal with. I guess I took the easy way out, and if I ever need to reinstall the program I will try putting in the /root directory.

Edited by fatk