MDK 9.2 and 160GB HDD

kfoss

Is there any support for 160GB HDD in 9.2? My ESC K7S5A has had its BIOS updated to recognize and accept this size of drive and even Diskdrake allows me to make a partition that big and format it. However, I get out of space errors on the drive with anything more than 700MB? And using "df" I get that it only has a size of 700MB.

Any ideas on what can be done if anything? I prefer to keep it all as one partition.

you can't get it has just one partition, you have to have atleast two (the system partition and the swap partition). although I highly suggest you divide it up. I don't know of any reason that Mandrake would not support 160GB...

This 160GB drive is not the system drive, that is /dev/hda. This drive is to be used for video capture and TV recording, as the 2 x 30GBs I had just weren't big enough. I see no reason for the issue with 160GB, but I know what I was given...700MB :(

That looks like a bios issue. I used to run into that way back in the old days when the bios limited the hard drive size.

Do you have the jumper pins correct? I know a stupid question but I just have to ask. i know sometimes I forget to check.

Since you installed the new drive and said you had to flash the bios could you reflash the bios and see if that helps?

I don't know but its got be something with the computer hardware/bios since other people here are running 200 gig drives no problem.

I have a Maxtor 160 GB in my system and even had it partitioned as one huge 160 GB /home, with no problems. I do use ReiserFS. My mobo is a Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee with ata133 and the hdd is ata133.

Wondoze 98 SE and ME fdisk refuses to see more than 29 GB on that drive, though Partition Commander has no problem with it.

I don't do BIOS flashing, as I consider that very dangerous. If it works, Don't fix it. :D

Thanks for the replies. The 160GB HDD did not need any special jumper settings to be able to be recognized. It's just set as the primary slave on the Mobo IDE controller.

I am using an ECS K7S5A Pro board. Out of the box doesn't support 160GB drives, however an updated BIOS version did. I flashed my new BIOS and the BIOS recognizes the 160GB drive. In MDK 9.2, diskdrake sees the whole drive and allows me to make a full 160GB partition. However, when the partition was mounted, I get a total of 700MB. It seems at the BIOS level and on the partition table it is all fine and recognized. It seems to be at the diskspace level that there are problems.

At the moment I'll live with the two partitions, but it is annoying to not be able to have the drive fully supported. :(

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't a BIOS issue, as far as I could tell. The BIOS recognized the 160GB HDD and Harddrake allowed me to partition it to 160GB. However, once I tried to put anything on it, I ran into the problem on it only showing 700MB. I used 'df' and the same result...700MB. :screwy:

Have you tried manually making the partitions during the install?

And if so how many? I run into this problem sometimes if I don't make a /user /home and /var partition.

Mandrake lumps them all together and sometimes only allocates 700 mb or room for the install leaving everything else for the /home directory.

/ = 2gig

/user = 5gig

/var = 1gig

/swap =500mb unformated

/home = as big as you want, mine is 10 gig

/win_s = 10 gig for sharing files between windows and linux. Formated as FAT32

unless otherwise noted all the formats are in rieserfs

Forsomereason this setup then gives me almost 3 gig of loadable area.