Mandriva 2007 Telnet Server for mail relay

Guest momer

Guest momer

Hi,

i am trying to set up a product called kaspersky mail gateway that is only supported from kaspersky if installed

on several old Operating systems, one of them is Mandriva 2007.

i installed it from an ISO image downloaded from the mandriva website.

in order to check that the product is functioning, i need to telnet to port 25 (SMTP) and send an e-mail to The linux server ,

that way i can see if it checks for spam and sends it to my real Mail Server.

telnet server isn't installed by default and there is no installation package included.

i can't find an installation RPM for telnet-server,

i've looked everywhere, didn't find it on the site, not on the installation CD or anywhere.

does anyone have a clue where i can get a telnet-server RPM for mandriva 2007?

may be i can get a newer one or one of a different distribution that will work?

i know that ssh is better and i will use it to connect in the future, but i still need a telnet server to check

if the product works before i change my Mail DNS Records.

any help will be appreciated, thanks!

You don't need a telnet server, you just need the ability to use a telnet client, or even netcat will suffice. For example:

telnet myserver.mydomain.com 25

will telnet you to port 25. Or, with netcat:

nc myserver.mydomain.com 25

the servername, depends on where you are telnetting from. If from the server, then you can just write:

telnet localhost 25

no need for a telnet server, forget about that.

Guest momer

Norman, Thanks for the wishes and the link, i'll try it tomorrow in the office (if still necessary).

Ian - i don't need to telnet FROM the linux, i need to Telnet TO the linux Server.

maybe there is somoething else wrong, but i have the telnet client installed on my mandriva, i can telnet

from it to any SMTP or other server.

but when i tried to connect through telnet to the Mail Relay on my linux (from a both a windows machine and locally to "localhost"), it said "the connection was refused" - don't remember

the exact message and because i am not at the office.

that was when i thought i needed to install the telnet server in order to connect through telnet and couldn't find a package anywhere, until norman's link was posted.

so - do i need to install the telnet server?

Thank you both.

Edited by momer

No, you don't need the telnet server. I would say perhaps your problem is that you have a firewall or something on the machine that is not allowing you to telnet to it. Try installing and using nmap to scan what ports are open on that machine. So like this:

nmap linuxserver

If you have no results, then you have a problem with a firewall blocking access to the ports. If you see the ports but cannot connect, then perhaps /etc/hosts.deny is the problem, or misconfigured mail server.

Post the results from the linux server for:

netstat -tunlp

we can then see all the TCP and UDP ports listening for a connection. Just in case the services are not running or misconfigured and so the port is not listening.