USB icons on KDE Desktop

xoox

Hi.

Whenever I plug in my USB scanner, USB-Stick or whatever, a new icon appears on my KDE-Desktop. They disapear when I unplug the USB Stick/Scanner again. I have two questions about that.

1. The name of this icon is a name followed by the path name, e.g. "Kooka /dev/usb/scanner0" or just the path name, e.g. "/mnt/removable". How can I get rid of the path name and give these icons some usefull names?

2. I now have such an icon on my Desktop that won't disappear any more. It is named "/mnt/removable" I also cannot delete it and it is not listed when I look into ~/Desktop with mc. How can I get rid of that icon again?

Any ideas about these two things?

1. I don't know how or if you can change the icon names. Whenever I tried changing them in Mandrake 9.0 or 9.1 it usually screwed things up and it was necessary to do a "dummy" upgrade procedure to restore things to normalcy. In my Man9.2 the cd-rom icons now thankfully do not show the path although the XSANE icon still does (just ugly and for no good reason at all)

2. you could try opening Mandrake Control centre ( now "configure your desktop center") then go to Look & Feel then Behavior and check that it is not ticked (USA=checked) there.

The only time I have encountered the "removable" thing was actually in /mnt and by going into root I was always able to delete it. So I do not know if this the same problem.

I have just checked my /etc/fstab and I find that it too has a "removable" as sda1. It is also in /mnt but I do not have it on my desktop (mandrake9.2) . So it may be you just simply remove it from the desktop while in root.

You could also try going to /home/<your-account-name>/Desktop/.directory and completely delete the entire part which involves and refers to the "removable" icon.

I hope some of this helps you.

Cheers. John (69yrs young)

i have the same nuisance with the XawTV Video icon since upgrading to MDK9.2. i now have the old icon for that on my KDE desktop left over from MDK9.1, & i have a new one from the 9.2 install. one is bad enough, 2 of them are driving me crazy! :wall: i'm still looking into proper removal procedures, but haven't found one yet. i've changed permissions to user where the links to those icons originate (i'm at work right now, but they are in something like /usr/share/desktop/apps/.....) & they are dynamically linked. so, even when i delete them, they come back upon reboot. i've also edited the .directory file in /home/user/desktop to remove the references to those icons, but they still come back. i do have a usb web cam, but i haven't tried unplugging it before booting to see if that gets rid of them, but i'll give that a whirl to see if it's even a temporary fix. if anybody comes up with a solution, please post it here. i'll do the same......

Chris

2. I found the solution now for this problem. This icon stays there, because /mnt/removable is not unmounted. A "umount /mnt/removable" as root removes that icon from my desktop. BTW: This icon is not listed in ~/Desktop. The Scanner-Icon comes from /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop and it is removed automatically after unplugging the Scanner. But I have no idea where the /mnt/removable icons comes from...

But unfortunately, now I cannot access my USB-Memory stick again, because that icon does not come back on my desktop when I plug in the stick. It only comes back then I mount it again as root and it stays there until I unmount it as root. Mounting and unmounting as user is not possible. I think that this supermount thing is failing and buggy. It should work without changing to root on a konsole. And it is quite dangerous to remove the USB stick without having unmounted the device.

1. I got rid of the "Kooka /dev/usb/scanner0" name for my scanner. Now it just displays "Scanner". That's not perfect, but better than before. You can achive that by changing /etc/dynamic/lauchers/scanners/kdegraphics.desktop. Just change

Name= Kooka $device

to

Name= Scanner

or whatever you want

The same procedure applies for xsane.

But I'm still unable to fully understand this dynamic supermount magic mounting thing Mandrake has created. Further help would be appreciated. I especially would be interested in how I can mount and unmount the UBS stick (resp. mnt/removable) as a user.

I just went to where you suggested to change the Scanner desktop Icon title but it seems it is different in Mandrake9.2 as compared to Mandrake9.1.

When I get to /dynamic, I get /scanner instead of /scanners then I get a choice 3 icons namely gnome.desktop, kde.desktop and xsane.desktop. When I click on either the 1st, 2nd or the 3rd one it opens up the XSANE program. Even right clicking on any of them and selecting open with Kwrite shows Name=XSane $device and not the title as shown on the desktop itself. It looks like more searching is needed. :wall:

Cheers. John

When I get to /dynamic,  I get /scanner instead of  /scanners then I get a choice 3 icons namely  gnome.desktop,    kde.desktop and xsane.desktop. When I click on either the 1st,  2nd or the 3rd one it opens up the XSANE program. Even right clicking on any of them and selecting open with Kwrite shows Name=XSane $device and not the title as shown on the desktop itself. It looks like more searching is needed.

If I got you right, I think you are right there. Just remove the "$device". This is a variable that is replaced by the full path of the device at the time the icon is created on the desktop. In the end, there only should be "name=XSane" in this line. And you have to become root, of course.

well, i got my problem solved, concerning the duplicate XawTV icons. i unplugged the web cam, which made the icon disappear that MDK9.2 put there. it also got rid of the dynamic link from /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/desktop. i then deleted the dynamic link for the old MDK9.1 XaTV icon in that same directory. then, i went to ~/desktop & edited the .directory file to remove the XaTV icon placement info. plugged the web cam back in, rebooted, & lo & behold i'm left with only one XaTV icon on my desktop, which i can live with. least i know how o get rid of it now, if i wanna.

Chris

I thank you yet again XOOX. :D Did what you did and it works AOK. rebooted and then clicked on the <XSANE> and it worked perfectly normally. Thanks to your explanation I also know a bit more about how my system works. :thumbs:

Happy New Year mate and enjoy yourself tonight .

Happy New Year to all.

John (69yrs Young) :D