Updating mandrake. Conflict with Ati9600pro driver

Darksky77

I'm newbie, trying ( and blaming ) with linux from less than 2 monthes.

Installed Mdk 9.2 Dwld edition but X did not start. Dwlded ( by windows )

- kernel source

- nforce2 driver

- ati9600pro driver for Xfree 4.3.x version

Installed nforce driver ( builded rpm from srpm ), all ok

Installed ATIdriver, configured module. All ok. ( using rpm -i --force )

Startx, ok.

Then i go to updrake, starting download Security fix, first.

Download all but i got a conflict message.

( word i don't remeber ) usr/X11R6/lib/libgl.so.1.2 from install of libxfree86-4.3-24.1.92mdk conflicts with file from package fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8

fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8 are ati driver.

Linked to this xfree packages there are other 5-6 pack...so i cannot install them too.

So i proceeded to install all what i can, except that file. No other packcages was linked to that conflicted pack. Good. Only the 5-6 packages conflicting was not installed.

I closed updrake....and...menù voices disappered !

I have only :

Recent

Block Desktop

Close Session

This in root too. I cannot open nothing, i cannot enter in a console env.

1) How i can resolve conflict and installa Xfree, keep my video card working ? ( without installing ati driver i was not able to start x )

2) WHY the menù disappeared !?

From 2 monthes i'm trying to have a stable and working mandrake box...but nothing....my energy are at minimum. Plz..help :help:

In order to update libxfree* and anything that depends on it, you will have to uninstall your ati driver first, then update the things you want and reinstall your ati driver. You can do this from the command line this way (you'll have to do this as root):

<<uninstall your ati driver (I'm not sure how, you'll have to get that part)>>

urpmi --auto --auto-select

<<reinstall your ati driver>>

As for losing your menus, it is such a common thing that Mandrake includes a utility to fix it. In a console, type

update-menus

Then log out of your windowmanager and back in and they should be fixed.

Ahem....i updated ALL..and themenu disappeard. The fix is in the 6 packages that conflicting ?

Howver, how i can boot in console ? Mdk 9.2 automatically enter in X, then kde.

In kde i have not the menu voices Konsole to open a console.

Also...ahem...i uninstall driver ? A guy said me that pakgs installed with --force option are not uninstallable...is it true ?

You can go to a virtual terminal by hitting these 3 keys together Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2, F3, etc.). To exit X completely type

init 3

when you are in the virtual terminal (vt). You need to exit X completely to uninstall your driver.

You can also run the update-menus script here in the vt. As far as being unable to uninstall something that was installed with the --force option, I am not sure.

When booting, at the splash screen for lilo, hit esc and type "linux 3", press enter. You will boot to the command line.

Forcing packages to install is not a good idea, as you can encounter other problems. I have done this in the past when I knew that all the depends were in place. There is a possibility that a forced package will not cleanly uninstall. Try it and see what happens. As a rule, video drivers and anything in the x windowing environment should be done completely outside of the x environment, in other words, when not in x.

If you installed using urpmi, then uninstall using urpme. If you installed with a tarball (xxx.xxx.tar.gz), then you will have to go back into the make directory and do a make uninstall.

First of all i want thanks all of you who are helping me.

Well, tried urpme on the atidriver pkcgs ...but it said me that there's not that pck!

uff...then i format ( 19th linux format in 2 monthes eheh ) and reinstall.

Same driver installing procedure of my starting post, except i did not use FORCE options for ati driver....well i got this message...the same conflict message but "reverse".

it says me that it cannot install fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8 because it conflict with libxfree86-4.3-24.1.92mdk ( well, really, the pckgs name is the same, changes the version..i do not remember but it's previously of 24.1.92)

Now i'm stucked. I cannot acceed X if i did not installa ati driver. Also i need enter X to configure my modem/ethernet.

There's a way to configure it by shell and start adsl and then dowld ALL available update for my mdk 9,2 and ONLY AT THE END installa ati driver and startx ?

Now i'm stucked. I cannot acceed X if i did not installa ati driver. Also i need enter X to configure my modem/ethernet.

There's a way to configure it by shell and start adsl and then dowld ALL available update for my mdk 9,2 and ONLY AT THE END installa ati driver and startx ?

You may be able to configure your network/modem without X: on the command line, type mcc, it will lauch a text mode version of Mandrake Controle Center.

roland

Thx a lot for the mcc tips ! I did not know about it...and, trust me, i'm surfing web from about 3 monthes looking for mdk knowledge.

However...i tried to configure lan ( nfroce2 ethernet integrated chip )...the message box say me "All ok" but the check line say : init eth0 [FAILED]...and not [OK]

Then i tried to configure LAN+ADSl.Message box say me all ok, say me "connection activated"...but same FAILED check for eth0.

Well now i dunno if adsl is on or off....

There's a command to start complete update of distro ?

I suppose is urpmi but i dunno the right options. I read info urpmi but don't seems exist that kind of option.